Sharing a C#User Control

  • Start date Start date

Tom

I have created a C# User Control which house my header
information.

I have another development group that would like to use
this but they are VB developers.

Is their a way to leverage my C# User Control in a VB.NET
application?

If so can you please provide me with instructions.

Thanks

Tom

Put the control in a separate assembly, compile, and give the VB guys your
assembly. All they need to do is add it to their toolbox in VS.NET and off
they go! I would also suggest strong naming your assembly and manually
setting its version in AssemblyInfo...

Jeff

Jeff:

Got a few questions. I understand about setting the
version number. But what do you mean when you say:
1. strong naming my assembly?
2. Put the control in a separate assembly. Do you mean a
seprate project. If so what type?
3. Give your vb guys the assembly. Which file?

Sorry but I'm new to this. Any help would be appreciated.

Tom

Jeff:

Got a few questions. I understand about setting the
version number. But what do you mean when you say:
1. strong naming my assembly?
Means it has a name, version, culture, and a public key. These are
generally set in AssemblyInfo.cs.

For creating the public key, use sn.exe provided in Program
Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET\FrameworkSDK\bin

Once all of these 4 things are specified, you can have your Assembly
(.dll or .exe) added to the global assembly cache of any / all
machines.
2. Put the control in a separate assembly. Do you mean a
seprate project. If so what type?
A "class library project" would make the most sense. Put that one
control (or any other releated controls / classes) in there. The
output of a class library project is a .NET dll (an assembly)
3. Give your vb guys the assembly. Which file?
The .dll created by the above project. Note, this is not a standard
windows dll, but rather a .NET assembly. Your vb guys either copy the
dll local to their project and do project | add references | pick your
dll.

Jeff:

I'm still a little confused.
OK I follow what you are saying. But my header control
contains an image and some D/Html code for the naviagation
menus.

If I create a C# Class Library project, add my control to
this new project, compile it. Then in my VB app make a
reference to this new project, how do I get the image to
appear?

Tom

Hi Tom,

Are you still monitoring this post?
I will get this post some research and give you some suggestion.

Best regards,
Jeffrey Tan
Microsoft Online Partner Support

| From: "Tom" <[email protected]>
| Sender: "Tom" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Re: Sharing a C#User Control
| Date: Tue, 5 Aug 2003 05:04:46 -0700
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.languages.csharp
|
| Jeff:
|
| I'm still a little confused.
| OK I follow what you are saying. But my header control
| contains an image and some D/Html code for the naviagation
| menus.
|
| If I create a C# Class Library project, add my control to
| this new project, compile it. Then in my VB app make a
| reference to this new project, how do I get the image to
| appear?
|
| Tom

Back
Top