From: "Greg Doggett" <[email protected]>
Subject: Security Update 811493 repeats
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2004 08:16:54 -0800
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.windows_update

As reported by several others, this update has appeared on
numerous W2K machines here all week. Despite reapplying
and in some cases even rebooting, each morning it is
back. This update dates back to 4/16/2003. Apparently
some other recently applied update 'undid' 811493, and now
it is in an infinite loop.
--

Hopefully this will help everyone that has posted this issue.

Try deleting the WUTEMP folder, this is a hidden folder, and then connect to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com and
see if the issue is resolved.

If the issue persists, turning off and turning on the automatic update notification utility may resolve this issue as this might
also happen due to some configuration error in the utility itself. Please complete the steps listed below.

1. Turn Off Automatic Updates
a. Open Control Panel, and then double-click Automatic Updates.
b. Click to clear the Keep my computer up to date.

2. Restart your computer.

3.To turn on Automatic Updates for your computer:
a. Open Control Panel, and then double-click Automatic Updates.
b. Click to select the Keep my computer up to date.

Bill Peele
Microsoft Enterprise Support

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Use of included script samples are subject to the
terms specified at http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm

Note: For the benefit of the community-at-large, all responses to this message are best directed to the newsgroup/thread
from which they originated.

Dave H.

I have tried your suggested solutions without success. I
still get the update notification. Do you have any other
suggestions up your sleeve?

[...]

newsgroup/thread

Bill Peele [MS]

--------------------
From: "Dave H." <[email protected]>
Subject: RE: Security Update 811493 repeats
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2004 20:05:45 -0800
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.windows_update

I have tried your suggested solutions without success. I
still get the update notification. Do you have any other
suggestions up your sleeve?
--

Dave,

Check and make sure the following registry keys are being created.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Updates\Windows 2000\SP4\Q811493
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\HotFix\Q811493
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Q811493

Also, You need to check the files to verify the versions in %systemroot%\System32 are the proper ones for the update.

The files that the updates should be are listed as follows:

VERSION FILENAME
5.0.2195.6159 Ntkrnlmp.exe
5.0.2195.6159 Ntkrnlpa.exe
5.0.2195.6159 Ntkrpamp.exe
5.0.2195.6159 Ntoskrnl.exe

Note: You may only have two of the above files listed in %systemroot%\System32.

I have heard of one case where the system was on Windows 2000 SP3 and they needed to re-install SP3 and then install
811493 from the location below.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?amp;displaylang=en&familyid=CACAC8C0-81E9-413E-B565-
5D7B3257A733&displaylang=en