Security Settings for IE6

  • Start date Start date

Greetings all!

I have recently switched to SBC Yahoo DSL and have been battling some adware
and malware problems. In addition to this, even when I am logged into my
computer (W2K) at the Administrator level, when I go into the Tools/Internet
Options/Security dialog, the Custom button is greyed out and I can't get to
any of those settings. As a result, Java is currently disabled and some
ActiveX functionality isn't working.

Could someone suggest some things to check on how to fix this?

FWIW I am using SBC's antivirus program, MS antispyware beta and Zone Labs
firewall...

Greg

On Tue, 21 Jun 2005 06:39:04 -0700, "gak27"

| have been battling some adware
|and malware problems.
+Screen for Adware, Spyware, Scumware:
http://aumha.org/a/noads.htm is best advise I've seen &
has worked in preventing same for 2+ yrs now.

HTH-Larry
Any advise is my attempt to contribute more than I have received but I can only assure you that it works on my PC. GOOD LUCK.

Hi,
From an archived post by Mike Burgess:
- - - -
Open Regedit to the following locations:
If (any) found either delete the key or change the value.
Value Data: (0 = disable restriction, 1 = enable restriction)

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Inter
net Settings]
"Security_HKLM_only"=dword:00000001
"Security_options_edit"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Inter
net Settings]
"SecChangeSettings"=dword:00000001
"SecAddSites"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Control
Panel]
"SecChangeSettings"=dword:00000001
"SecAddSites"=dword:00000001
- - - - -
You should backup (export) the registry before making any of these changes.
If you're not familiar with REGEDIT, please get help.
- - - - -
This page has additional information:
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/ie/flags.htm
- - - - -