Searching for text strings in all files

I am trying to search for text strings in all file types. I came across a
post that directed me to the following link.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;309173

In this link it states that after bringing up the search window I should
click on "change preferences" and the click "With Indexing Service".
However, when I bring up the search window and click change preferences I
don't have a "With Indexing Service" option.

Any suggestions? I'm running XP Pro SP2 (specifically 5.1.2600 Service Pack
2 Build 2600.

Thanks

frodo

Orcrone said:
I am trying to search for text strings in all file types. I came across a
post that directed me to the following link.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;309173
In this link it states that after bringing up the search window I should
click on "change preferences" and the click "With Indexing Service".
However, when I bring up the search window and click change preferences I
don't have a "With Indexing Service" option.
Any suggestions? I'm running XP Pro SP2 (specifically 5.1.2600 Service Pack
2 Build 2600.

Well, sounds like (maybe) you don't have Indexing Service installed.

Regardless, Indexing Service is pretty bad (junk actually), if you need to
search within your local files often, I would go get the free Google
Desktop Search, or Yahoo's Desktop Search (and there are others, like MSN,
Coppernic, etc). All are free, and work well (whereas Indexing Service
does not!). GoogleDTS is small, YahooDTS is comprehensive. Try them both
and choose one.

lostinspace

I am trying to search for text strings in all file types. I came across a
post that directed me to the following link.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;309173

In this link it states that after bringing up the search window I should
click on "change preferences" and the click "With Indexing Service".
However, when I bring up the search window and click change preferences I
don't have a "With Indexing Service" option.

Any suggestions? I'm running XP Pro SP2 (specifically 5.1.2600 Service
Pack
2 Build 2600.

Thanks

There's a much better utility for this name Copernic Desktop.
http://www.copernic.com/
There are some configuartion options which need tweaking.

Torgeir Bakken \(MVP\)

Orcrone said:
I am trying to search for text strings in all file types. I came across a
post that directed me to the following link.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;309173

In this link it states that after bringing up the search window I should
click on "change preferences" and the click "With Indexing Service".
However, when I bring up the search window and click change preferences I
don't have a "With Indexing Service" option.

Any suggestions? I'm running XP Pro SP2 (specifically 5.1.2600 Service Pack
2 Build 2600.
Hi,

One alternative is to install the free Agent Ransack and use it to
search.

Download it from here:
http://www.mythicsoft.com/agentransack/default.aspx

Agent Ransack can save the search result to a file (or clipboard), as text,
comma separated text or tab separated text.

When searching for text inside files, Agent Ransack is also able to do a
preview of the lines the text was found in (just do a single click on the
found file).

Thanks everyone for your help. I don't have admin privileges, so that could
be what's stopping me from following the procedure. It's also stopping me
from installing the search programs recommended. I'll get our IT department
to install one of them.

Thanks again.

IT made the modifications to XP and I'm now able to search all files.

Thanks again everyone.

Orcrone said:
I am trying to search for text strings in all file types. I came across a
post that directed me to the following link.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;309173

In this link it states that after bringing up the search window I should
click on "change preferences" and the click "With Indexing Service".
However, when I bring up the search window and click change preferences I
don't have a "With Indexing Service" option.

Any suggestions? I'm running XP Pro SP2 (specifically 5.1.2600 Service Pack
2 Build 2600.

Thanks

Microsoft search facility is pretty ropey at the best of times - so I never
use it.
Try something like Copernic. It will search in all your file types for text
etc. and at lightnng speed. (and its free)

http://www.copernic.com/

Download the file and index all files - takes a bit fo time depending upon
the size of files etc.
and the fire off search and hey presto split second later the result

Abdul

I don't have much choice in the matter. The computers are configured by our
IT department. They generally don't download software off the internet to
our work PCs. Since they made the change to the XP search procedure and I'm
now able to search all files, I'm sure this will be their final solution.

Thanks anyhow. I'll try it at home.