Scrolling field results in a cell?

G

I am designing a site with FP 2003 and using an Access 2003 database to store submission form entries. Two of the fields are memo fields, and I am giving the user the opportunity to submit up to 1,000 words in each describing the geographic area they cover and the scope of services they provide.

My problem is on the display within cells of these 2 fields in my results page (which I created in the FP 2003 Database Results Wizard). I have placed these 2 fields in separate columns side by side in a table, and specified a cell width of 200 and a cell height of 50 for each cell, and have set the page to display 5 results at a time in row form (default setting I believe). I want the user to have the ability to scroll through and read all of the extra text for these 2 fields within those 2 cells whenever the amount of text exceeds the specified height and width of the cell (I would prefer a scrollbar on the right side of the cell only, not along the bottom).

I can not figure out how to put a scrollbar in these cells so that field results which exceed the height and width I have specified will appear. All I get are cells that show all of the characters entered and stretch far down the page.

If anyone can assist me, I would greatly appreciate it. I might also add that I am somewhat of a novice at this, so any responses with examples, links and/or in layman’s terms would be greatly appreciated.

T

Thomas A. Rowe

You need to replace the field with a textarea form field or use CSS layers.

--
==============================================
Thomas A. Rowe (Microsoft MVP - FrontPage)
WEBMASTER Resources(tm)

FrontPage Resources, WebCircle, MS KB Quick Links, etc.
==============================================

Pheidippedes said:
I am designing a site with FP 2003 and using an Access 2003 database to store submission form
entries. Two of the fields are memo fields, and I am giving the user the opportunity to submit up to
1,000 words in each describing the geographic area they cover and the scope of services they
provide.
My problem is on the display within cells of these 2 fields in my results page (which I created in
the FP 2003 Database Results Wizard). I have placed these 2 fields in separate columns side by side
in a table, and specified a cell width of 200 and a cell height of 50 for each cell, and have set
the page to display 5 results at a time in row form (default setting I believe). I want the user to
have the ability to scroll through and read all of the extra text for these 2 fields within those 2
cells whenever the amount of text exceeds the specified height and width of the cell (I would prefer
a scrollbar on the right side of the cell only, not along the bottom).
I can not figure out how to put a scrollbar in these cells so that field results which exceed the
height and width I have specified will appear. All I get are cells that show all of the characters
entered and stretch far down the page.
If anyone can assist me, I would greatly appreciate it. I might also add that I am somewhat of a
novice at this, so any responses with examples, links and/or in layman's terms would be greatly
appreciated.

C

chris leeds

it's not so bad. just put this within the cell:
<div class="scroller"> your stuff that returns the values </div>

then on your style sheet:
..scroller{
background: transparent;
border: thin dotted #0000FF;
height: 100px;
overflow: auto;
width: 300px;
}

ok, just keep in mind that the attributes of the .css above are just for
demonstration and you can change them to suit.

HTH

--
The email address on this posting is a "black hole". I got tired of all the
spam.
Please feel free to contact me here:
http://nedp.net/contact/
--

Pheidippedes said:
I am designing a site with FP 2003 and using an Access 2003 database to
store submission form entries. Two of the fields are memo fields, and I am
giving the user the opportunity to submit up to 1,000 words in each
describing the geographic area they cover and the scope of services they
provide.
My problem is on the display within cells of these 2 fields in my results
page (which I created in the FP 2003 Database Results Wizard). I have placed
these 2 fields in separate columns side by side in a table, and specified a
cell width of 200 and a cell height of 50 for each cell, and have set the
page to display 5 results at a time in row form (default setting I believe).
I want the user to have the ability to scroll through and read all of the
extra text for these 2 fields within those 2 cells whenever the amount of
text exceeds the specified height and width of the cell (I would prefer a
scrollbar on the right side of the cell only, not along the bottom).
I can not figure out how to put a scrollbar in these cells so that field
results which exceed the height and width I have specified will appear. All
I get are cells that show all of the characters entered and stretch far down
the page.
If anyone can assist me, I would greatly appreciate it. I might also add
that I am somewhat of a novice at this, so any responses with examples,
links and/or in layman's terms would be greatly appreciated.

Ask a Question