Saving IE toolbar settings across reboots

  • Start date Start date

I have an HP computer w/ Windows XP Home (SP2 and all further updates) and IE
6 SP2 on my computer. I like to configure my IE toolbar in a certain way,
but, I have to reconfigure the IE toolbar every time I reboot or power up my
computer. The IE settings are saved if I close and reopen IE during the day
(no reboot), but not if the computer is rebooted. It always puts in the HP
icon, links, and sometimes drops the address line. It has always done this
since I bought the computer 3 years ago. I think it is a custom HP setting
that I have not been able to determine. Any help would be much appreciated.

What anti-malware applications have you installed (e.g., SpySweeper, Spybot,
anything by Norton or McAfee)?

I have Symantec Corporate AntiVirus. I run this on other of my non-HP
machines and I don't get this behavior.

If the toolbarcop does not work, this might apply:
Customized View Settings on the Internet Explorer Toolbar
Revert to Default Settings After Restarting the Computer
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericDocument?lc=en&cc=us&docname=c00059793&dlc=en&lang=en
--
mae

| I have an HP computer w/ Windows XP Home (SP2 and all further updates) and
IE
| 6 SP2 on my computer. I like to configure my IE toolbar in a certain way,
| but, I have to reconfigure the IE toolbar every time I reboot or power up
my
| computer. The IE settings are saved if I close and reopen IE during the
day
| (no reboot), but not if the computer is rebooted. It always puts in the
HP
| icon, links, and sometimes drops the address line. It has always done
this
| since I bought the computer 3 years ago. I think it is a custom HP
setting
| that I have not been able to determine. Any help would be much
appreciated.

Thanks for the reply. I read that on their website, but wasn't sure how that
would apply to the resorting Links toolbar problem, since the Links toolbar
is a standard part of I.E. Is there a known add-on that causes this resorting
problem?

Peggy

Don Varnau said:
Hi,
<quote>ToolbarCop is a browser extensions manager which can disable or
eliminate the following browser add-ons...</quote>

Visit http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k/toolbarcop.htm for full information.

Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE]

roxy059 said:
What exactly does Toolbar Cop do?

Thanks.

Peggy
PA Bear said:
YW & thanks for posting back.
Thanks for the heads-up on Toolbarcop - it cleared up my problem. Thanks.

:

Give ToolbarCop a whirl: http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k/toolbarcop.htm

Oh... there's the original post (Dec 21, 2005) :-)
http://groups.google.com/group/micr...d5d5/ec140590c0da9168?&hl=en#ec140590c0da9168
An HP program was reconfiguring the IE toolbar on each startup. Toolbar Cop
found and removed the offender.

So... what problem are you having with the Links toolbar?

Don
[MS MVP- IE]

roxy059 said:
What exactly does Toolbar Cop do?

Thanks.
Peggy
"toyoung" <toyoung[at]discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
Thanks for the heads-up on Toolbarcop - it cleared up my problem. Thanks.

http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k/toolbarcop.htm

Every once in a while, for no apparent reason, the Links toolbar resorts
itself into alphabetical order. This messes up the arrangement I had which
has the most frequently used links showing up at the beginning of the Links
toolbar. It's a real nuisance. I haven't been able to identify a consistent
cause.

Peggy

:

Give ToolbarCop a whirl:
http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k/toolbarcop.htm

Hi,
It's been my experience that IE *will* eventually, unexpectedly put
Favorites in alphabetical order, whether you want it to or not. ;-) The
workarounds are to rename shortcuts so that alphabetical order works in your
favor or to create sub-folders within Links so that specific shortcuts are
easier to find.

I have run into the situation where a folder could not be sorted by name
(alphabetically) due to the number of Favorites in it- I had over 200
shortcuts in a Favorites folder.
See: 259735 - Favorites May Not Sort in Alphabetical Order
So, if you can put 193 or more shortcuts in a Favorites folder, it will
probably not rearrange itself.

Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE]

Don Varnau said:
Oh... there's the original post (Dec 21, 2005) :-)
http://groups.google.com/group/micr...d5d5/ec140590c0da9168?&hl=en#ec140590c0da9168
An HP program was reconfiguring the IE toolbar on each startup. Toolbar Cop
found and removed the offender.

So... what problem are you having with the Links toolbar?
how
that
information.
"roxy059" <roxy059[at]discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
What exactly does Toolbar Cop do?

Thanks.
Peggy
"toyoung" <toyoung[at]discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
Thanks for the heads-up on Toolbarcop - it cleared up my problem.
Thanks.

Thanks for the information and suggestions. I don't know that I want to put
193 links into the Links toolbar, but the idea of putting a number in front
to make them sort the way I want is great. Why didn't I think of that?! :-)

Thanks again.

Peggy

Don Varnau said:
[...]

Hopefully one of you sees this reply since your thread is a bit out of date.
BUT, I am going mad with this alpha Links issue. I never had more than 193
links in the links toolbar and always had it appear in the exact order that I
wanted it to. I have about 75 links. Out of the blue, the Links are all
aphabetized now and when I rearrange them, they stay in my order only as long
as the browser is open. Once I close and reopen, the darn things go back to
alpha order. I never had to put numbers in the names to keep them in order.
Does anyone know if something has changed via Windows Update to make this
happen? This is keeping me up at night (well not that bad but close)

Thanks a lot

Eric

:

Give ToolbarCop a whirl:
http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k/toolbarcop.htm

Eric - I am having the same problem & the same sleepless. Have you found any
solutions?

:

Give ToolbarCop a whirl:
http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k/toolbarcop.htm

Did you ever find a solution

:

Give ToolbarCop a whirl:
http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k/toolbarcop.htm

Looks to me like the solution is contained within this thread that you
replied to.

| Did you ever find a solution
|
| "roxy059" wrote:
|
| > Thanks for the information and suggestions. I don't know that I want to
put
| > 193 links into the Links toolbar, but the idea of putting a number in
front
| > to make them sort the way I want is great. Why didn't I think of that?!
:-)

| > Thanks again.
| >
| > Peggy
| >
| > "Don Varnau" wrote:
| >
| > > Hi,
| > > It's been my experience that IE *will* eventually, unexpectedly put
| > > Favorites in alphabetical order, whether you want it to or not. ;-)
The
| > > workarounds are to rename shortcuts so that alphabetical order works
in your
| > > favor or to create sub-folders within Links so that specific shortcuts
are
| > > easier to find.
| > >
| > > I have run into the situation where a folder could not be sorted by
name
| > > (alphabetically) due to the number of Favorites in it- I had over 200
| > > shortcuts in a Favorites folder.
| > > See: 259735 - Favorites May Not Sort in Alphabetical Order
| > > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=259735
| > > So, if you can put 193 or more shortcuts in a Favorites folder, it
will
| > > probably not rearrange itself.
| > >
| > > Hope this helps,
| > > Don
| > > [MS MVP- IE]

| > > which
| > > Links
| > > consistent

http://groups.google.com/group/micr...d5d5/ec140590c0da9168?&hl=en#ec140590c0da9168
Toolbar
| > > Cop

| > > how
Links

| > > or

| > > information.

| > > message
| > > problem.

I must have missed it. I can't see adding numbers in front - it never used
to work way... all of a sudden it changed.
Do you have a suggestion

Tom Willett said:
Looks to me like the solution is contained within this thread that you
replied to.

| Did you ever find a solution
|
| "roxy059" wrote:
|
| > Thanks for the information and suggestions. I don't know that I want to
put
| > 193 links into the Links toolbar, but the idea of putting a number in
front
| > to make them sort the way I want is great. Why didn't I think of that?!
:-)

| > Thanks again.
| >
| > Peggy
| >
| > "Don Varnau" wrote:
| >
| > > Hi,
| > > It's been my experience that IE *will* eventually, unexpectedly put
| > > Favorites in alphabetical order, whether you want it to or not. ;-)
The
| > > workarounds are to rename shortcuts so that alphabetical order works
in your
| > > favor or to create sub-folders within Links so that specific shortcuts
are
| > > easier to find.
| > >
| > > I have run into the situation where a folder could not be sorted by
name
| > > (alphabetically) due to the number of Favorites in it- I had over 200
| > > shortcuts in a Favorites folder.
| > > See: 259735 - Favorites May Not Sort in Alphabetical Order
| > > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=259735
| > > So, if you can put 193 or more shortcuts in a Favorites folder, it
will
| > > probably not rearrange itself.
| > >
| > > Hope this helps,
| > > Don
| > > [MS MVP- IE]

| > > which
| > > Links
| > > consistent

http://groups.google.com/group/micr...d5d5/ec140590c0da9168?&hl=en#ec140590c0da9168
Toolbar
| > > Cop

| > > how
Links

| > > or

| > > information.

| > > message
| > > problem.

I have a tough time believing that you have to put a number in front just to
keep a sort order.
It used to work fine - stayed sorted the way I wanted - something changed &
I'd like to change it back

Back
Top