Saving a .wmm without compression?

  • Start date Start date

Hello,

I've made a project in Windows Movie Maker.

I usually use WindowMediaEncoder to create my streams.

Is it possible to open the project in WMencoder?

If not, can someone advise me the correct workflow for saving my project for
streaming? How can I save it with no compression so I can open in WMencoder?

Thank You
Fess

This advice is not necessarily the best. Remember that
when comparing DV-AVI and WMV, minimum compression does
not necessarily translate to maximum quality.

This is especially true in light of the recent post
by Dean Rowe, where he revealed a major quality
flaw (IMO) in the filter graph that MM uses to
render DV-AVI movies.

--
-Bob
_______________________________

This is especially true in light of the recent post
by Dean Rowe, where he revealed a major quality
flaw (IMO) in the filter graph that MM uses to
render DV-AVI movies.

Hi Bob, please note that this flaw affects only still pictures. For Video
that is captured in DV AVI, keeping it in the same format after editing
would still be best solution for quality.

Best regards.

--
Rehan
MS MVP -- Digital Media

Rehan,
Hi Bob, please note that this flaw affects only still pictures. For Video
that is captured in DV AVI, keeping it in the same format after editing
would still be best solution for quality.

This is what Dean wrote:

When we save to DV-AVI we're assuming that you're ultimately
targeting playback on a regular television as opposed to a
computer monitor. Consequently when we're saving to DV-AVI we
actually put a filter in the graph that ensures all colors
are NTSC safe and it also slightly blurs the image. This is
deliberate so that the image doesn't flicker so much on a
regular TV. Of course this makes it look worse when you're
looking at the result on a computer display, which is
typically of a higher quality than a TV.

"... it also slightly blurs the image."

I don't see anything that would lead you to believe that
the "blur filter" is only used for rendering still pictures,
but not video. That doesn't even make sense to me.

That is totally unacceptable IMHO when rendering to DV-AVI.
I have always observed that the quality of the DV-AVI that MM
creates is of (slightly) lower quality than the DV-AVI that
was rendered by my miniDV camcorder. But I never understood
why. Thanks to Dean's explanation, now I understand.

If you have other information that leads you to conclude
that a different filter graph is used based on the input
media, please provide it. Otherwise, I'll stand by my
original comments. Thanks.

--
-Bob
_______________________________
Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Media Center Edition
http://www.microsoft.com/ehome

You mean, Thanks to Al Stu for forcing the issue and revealing the truth of
course.

--
John Kelly
www.the-kellys.org

Hi Bob,

Yes, I agree, but I'm not ready to take the recent interesting discussions
and recommend something other DV-AVI for the best quality in the generic
case.

Even with how MM renders DV-AVI movies, I don't have an alternate 'one size
fits all' recommendation...

If it's a WMV, then what profile? I can't recommend any of the standard
profiles that come with Movie Maker over the my two beta profiles (NTSC and
PAL) on the Saving Movies > Custom WMV Profiles page of my site. I still
consider them as beta profiles.

--
PapaJohn

Movie Maker 2 and Photo Story 3 website - http://www.papajohn.org
tips and tricks: http://www.simplydv.co.uk/simplyBB/viewtopic.php?t=4693
Online Newsletters: http://www.windowsmoviemakers.net/PapaJohn/Index.aspx

Hi Bob
I don't see anything that would lead you to believe that
the "blur filter" is only used for rendering still pictures,
but not video. That doesn't even make sense to me.

I agree that the quoted statement of Dean did not make it clear whether the
filter is applied for everyhting or just the stills. However the thread in
which this statement was made was specifically for still images. Furthermore
the stills are treated differently already by assuming that these are made
up of square pixels always, while a source video is assessed for non-square
pixels as well...

Nevertheless I have asked Dean directly and received confirmation that the
filter is specific for the stills. Here is his reply to my question: