Run ASP.NET on Port 81

Steve Norman

Hi All,

Is it possible to run an ASP.NET website on any other
port except the default of 80?

We have a dev site set up on port 81, but when we try to
run any ASP pages we get the default 'Runtime Error'
message. The same page runs fine on the same machine on
port 80.

Any info on this would be greatly appreciated.

Steve

Jim Cheshire [MSFT]

Steve,

There should be no problem in doing so provided that nothing else is
listening on port 81. Are you able to browse to any pages (non-aspx) on
port 81?

Jim Cheshire [MSFT]
Developer Support
ASP.NET
(e-mail address removed)

Jim Cheshire [MSFT]

Steve,

Glad you fixed it, but just FYI, the article you reference isn't going to
cause a failure on one particular port. If you are encountering that
issue, it will fail on any port. From the looks of it, it wasn't really
related to the port, right? Don't you hate those red herrings? :)

Jim Cheshire [MSFT]
Developer Support
ASP.NET
(e-mail address removed)

From: "Steve Norman" <[email protected]>
Sender: "Steve Norman" <[email protected]>
Subject: RE: Run ASP.NET on Port 81
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 08:44:36 -0800
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet

I have just found the solution, and it is all down to
permissions on the folder. Info from KB:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-
US;316721