Right-Click Problems

  • Start date Start date

When I right-click an application or a shortcut to one, my taskbar, desktop
icons, and system windows (File Folders, etc.) disapear and sometimes,
desktop picture resets, and start menu resets to the Newly installed Windows
(Shortcuts are factory defaults). All I want to know, is there a way to fix
this, without reinstalling Windows?

Type Regedit in Start Run
Goto

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AllFilesystemObjects\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Drive\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers

Export all five keys (on the File Menu) (First two keys apply to files, 1st, 3rd to 5th apply to folders/drives). Delete all two/five. What happens.

Hi David,

Did not see your post. BTW, I came across three more locations: (ShellEx and
Shell), loads based on the "FolderType" - Bag setting. Noted that WMP adds
it's handler to this location.

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SystemFileAssociations\Directory.Audio]
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SystemFileAssociations\Directory.Video]
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SystemFileAssociations\Directory.Image]

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

"David Candy" <.> wrote in message
Type Regedit in Start Run
Goto

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AllFilesystemObjects\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Drive\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers

Export all five keys (on the File Menu) (First two keys apply to files, 1st,
3rd to 5th apply to folders/drives). Delete all two/five. What happens.

I was trying to add WMP to Directory.Document last week. It didn't work. They must be the only folders it looks for.

HelloI'mHereNow said:
When I right-click an application or a shortcut to one, my taskbar,
desktop
icons, and system windows (File Folders, etc.) disapear and sometimes,
desktop picture resets, and start menu resets to the Newly installed
Windows
(Shortcuts are factory defaults). All I want to know, is there a way to
fix
this, without reinstalling Windows?

Back
Top