Return Date

• Thread starter Thread starter Jorge
  • Start date Start date
J

Jorge

Hi

I am performing a query.
It criteria asks the person for the bg/end dates.
between [Enter Start Date] and [Enter End Date]

What is happening is the format that's entered.
I have the field described as short date etc..
the user enters in 3/04/04 and it finds nothing.
So I enter in the date/time and it finds the date.

How do you get the query to give date on value in that format mm/dd/yy?

Thank-you
Jorge

H

Most likely a problem with a format in the underlying tables.... lets start from scratch

I train people to us MS products - mainly Excel and Access. I always warn them to beware of short date formats - and you have just proved me right. I assume you are American, as only they use the short date format MM/dd/yy as far as I can tell! - how do you know if 04/05/06 is the 4th of May 2006, the 5th of April 2006, or even the 6th of May 2004 etc etc for that matter!!

My advice: go to your control panel in Windows. Go to REGIONAL OPTIONS (REGIONAL SETTINGS) and choose a short date format there on the DATE tab. Use MM/dd/yy if you must, but I would recommend dd/MM/yyyy - all four numbers of the year as such
In your database, make sure that the DATE/TIME format for the field in the table is set to short date - this format should be the same as it is in REGIONAL OPTIONS - MM/dd/yy if you absolutely insist
Now on your form, do the same - ie. make sure your formats are consistent all the way through
When you run your queries, you should no longer have any problems with the date format

Hope this helps
Regard
David

Back