"Restrictions" Error Message in IE 6 Please help.

• Thread starter Thread starter Mike
  • Start date Start date
M

Mike

When I go to access my "Internet Options" under the tools
menu and click on it, a box with the
heading "Restrictions" comes up and the dialogue in it
states:

This operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in
effect on this computer. Please contact your system
administrator.

Why is it doing this? Can I fix this? I can still
access Internet Options through the Control Panel, but I
would like to be able to do it from IE 6 and not have to
open the extra windows.

Any Ideas? Thank You.

Hi Mike, I have had exactly the same problem occur today on my Asus laptop. I contacted our tech support guy and he is mystified so I'll watch this thread with interest. I have tried updating windows > no luck. Then I upgraded from IE6 to IE7 > no luck. I tried changing to Guest user and back to Administrator > no luck so it's quite a tenacious problem. Sorry I don't have an answer.

Can anyone out there help........?

Further to above Mike, I found a fix for a similar problem but the example refers to an error message appearing when clicking a hyer link. It recommended the following fix (which didn't work) but I suspect we need a different registry key fixed. I just don't know which one.
*************************************************************************************************

Export and import the registry key from another computer
Warning Serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly by using Registry Editor or by using another method. These problems might require that you reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that these problems can be solved. Modify the registry at your own risk.
Export the registry key from another computer
1. Click Start, and then click Run.
2. In the Open box, type regedit, and then click OK.
3. Locate the following registry key: HKEY_Local_Machine\Software\Classes\htmlfile\shell\open\command

4. Click the command folder.
5. On the File or Registry menu (depending on your operating system), click Export.
6. Note the location of where the file will be saved. The registry file can be saved directly to the hard drive or floppy disk.
7. Type a unique file name, and then click Save.
8. Quit the Registry Editor.

Import the registry key
1. Copy the Exported registry key to the desktop on the problem computer.
2. Double-click the .reg file.

You receive the following message:
Are you sure you want to add the information in drive: location file was copied to\file name.reg to the registry?
3. Click Yes, and then click OK.
**********************************************************************************************

I have submitted a request to microsoft for a hotfix for this problem. When I get it, I'll post it here for you.

Back