Representing father/son

  • Start date Start date

Jonathan Blitz

I have 2 tables linked with a father/son relationship.
The link is one to many.

I want to show this as continuous data with the father shown only once for
each set of sons.
I know I can use subforms then if there are a large number of sons to a
father the user needs to page within the subform.

I need to create it in such a way that it looks like a continuous form. Is
there any way to make the subform grow or shrink according to the number of
lines in the son?
Or is there a better way to do this?

--
Jonathan Blitz
AnyKey Limited

"When things seem bad
Don't worry and shout
Just count up the times
Things have worked themselves out."

Hi Jonathan,

If I haven't misunderstood the issue, if you set the subform default view
to Continuous Forms, it already grows and shrinks according to the record
number. (I use Access 2002)

Sincerely,

Alick Ye, MCSD
Microsoft Online Partner Support

| I have 2 tables linked with a father/son relationship.
| The link is one to many.
|
| I want to show this as continuous data with the father shown only once for
| each set of sons.
| I know I can use subforms then if there are a large number of sons to a
| father the user needs to page within the subform.
|
| I need to create it in such a way that it looks like a continuous form. Is
| there any way to make the subform grow or shrink according to the number
of
| lines in the son?
| Or is there a better way to do this?
|

| --
| Jonathan Blitz
| AnyKey Limited
| Israel
|
| "When things seem bad
| Don't worry and shout
| Just count up the times
| Things have worked themselves out."

Hi Jonathan,

From your new post titled "Dynamically expanding subform" it seems I
misunderstood your question, I list my response in that new thread below
for your convenience:

I think that is not possible. If the number of the items/rows in the
subform is big enough, we have to page down it to view the "hidden" part;
if there is no paging function, "hidden" data won't be shown; unlike
report, subform/form can't use the CanShrink/CanGrow property, we can only
use canshrink/cangrow property for printing or print preview, instead of
using them for appearance of subform/form.

Sincerely,

Alick Ye, MCSD
Microsoft Online Partner Support

| From: "Jonathan Blitz" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Representing father/son
|
| I have 2 tables linked with a father/son relationship.
| The link is one to many.
|
| I want to show this as continuous data with the father shown only once for
| each set of sons.
| I know I can use subforms then if there are a large number of sons to a
| father the user needs to page within the subform.
|
| I need to create it in such a way that it looks like a continuous form. Is
| there any way to make the subform grow or shrink according to the number
of
| lines in the son?
| Or is there a better way to do this?
|

| --