Release Date?

  • Start date Start date

I am sure this question has been asked before but I am tired of scrolling
thru all the questions.

When is Defender going to be moved out of Beta?

We need to be able to talk to support about some of these issues.

Thanks

Tom

No announcement has been made.

Microsoft would be interested in a list of issues you see as needing
addressing, I suspect.

Bill

Who can I talk to about the issues? The forum is great for questions and
concerns but I would like to speak to someone on the Team about what I am
seeing. I have in the past been on other beta testing long long ago. I always
had an contact to talk to about any issues.

I have a list of items if interested let me know.

Thanks

Tom

Hi Tom;

From Joe Faulhaber [MSFT]:

"I am a tester on the WD product team. And I know a bunch of us on the
product team are lurking on these NGs. Not all of us post (we have lots of
code to work on), but your feedback and peer support is hugely valuable to
us. I cut&paste posts from these NGs into bugs in our systems all the
time."

I think the only way your list is going to get to the "team" is if you post
it here, but I wouldn't expect a two way conversation. :)

Agreed. We've had a pretty good level of participation by a number of
Microsoft staff here at times, but at the moment things are at a pretty low
ebb.

The posts here by Microsoft staff are made using addresses which are easily
un-munged--they're not being anonymous--you can write directly to them.

Steve Dodson is the Product Support engineer:

http://blogs.technet.com/stevedod/default.aspx

This is a public beta which has lasted a couple of years, and has 25 million
installs--measured by looking at separate installations taking up
definitions--not just downloads. This isn't a private beta with relatively
few participants and correspondingly greater Microsoft staff participation.

I'll readily apologize for the level of support for questions like "when
will it be released"--that we can provide as peers--we just can't answer
that kind of question, and I don't think you'll find Microsoft staff
answering it either--not until there's a public announcement for everyone to
hear.
--

Dave M said:
Hi Tom;

From Joe Faulhaber [MSFT]:

"I am a tester on the WD product team. And I know a bunch of us on the
product team are lurking on these NGs. Not all of us post (we have lots
of code to work on), but your feedback and peer support is hugely valuable
to us. I cut&paste posts from these NGs into bugs in our systems all the
time."

I think the only way your list is going to get to the "team" is if you
post it here, but I wouldn't expect a two way conversation. :)
--

Regards, Dave

Bill said:
No announcement has been made.

Microsoft would be interested in a list of issues you see as needing
addressing, I suspect.

"TomDefenderHopeful" <[email protected]>
wrote in message

One that I find annoying is the running as a non admin account (which I do
all the time) the S/W will not update itself. I have to log in as
administrator to get this to work.

Is that intentional, a general gripe, or something that is peculiar to my
system?

RayG said:
One that I find annoying is the running as a non admin account (which I do
all the time) the S/W will not update itself. I have to log in as
administrator to get this to work.

Is that intentional, a general gripe, or something that is peculiar to my
system?

I haven't had first-hand observation of how Windows Defender updates work in
this situation. I do have one client office which runs as limited users,
with each user knowing the admin password, but only using it when absolutely
necessary.

Windows Defender updates using the same mechanisms as AutoUpdate--and my
impression was that when autoupdates were ready to be installed, the users
were prompted, and could supply an admin password to allow for the
installation via runas.

I suspect that however this is working, it is unlikely to change for XP,
unless some adjustment is made in SP3, which is some time off.

I'd be interested in hearing a description of how this works for you--since
I haven't seen it first-hand. I would guess that it is working as
designed--is it different than other automatic updates from Microsoft?

The mechanism in place should allow updates behind the scene even if a
non-admin is not logged in. What is the specific behavior which you are
seeing?? Is it different if an admin logs in? I would want to see your
windowsupdate.log as well.

Steve Dodson [MSFT]
Windows Defender Beta Lead
MCSE, CISSP
http://blogs.technet.com/stevedod

originated.

What issues are you seeing? Feel free to post them here so we can get some
traction on the issues.

Steve Dodson [MSFT]
Windows Defender Beta Lead
MCSE, CISSP
http://blogs.technet.com/stevedod

originated.

fix the check point issue so we don't have to uncheck. check items for it to
stop making check points every day or 2+ per day.
robin
Steve Dodson said:
What issues are you seeing? Feel free to post them here so we can get some
traction on the issues.

Steve Dodson [MSFT]
Windows Defender Beta Lead
MCSE, CISSP
http://blogs.technet.com/stevedod

rights.

originated.

TomDefenderHopeful said:
I am sure this question has been asked before but I am tired of scrolling
thru all the questions.

When is Defender going to be moved out of Beta?

We need to be able to talk to support about some of these issues.

Thanks

Tom

Back
Top