Registry privileges?

Doug Starkey

I have recently upgraded a piece of software (ADP PCPayroll) and
everything went fine on all my workstations except my one Windows XP
Professional station.

I spent nearly an entire day on the phone with ADP trying to resolve the
issue and they finally concluded that, "the user does not have complete
access privileges to the registry".

I have three users set up on this desktop: Administrator (the default
that came with the original installation), myself (set up as a member ot
the "Administrators" group), and my payroll administrator (also set up
as a member of the "Administrators" group. Since all users are members
of the Administrators group, they should have complete and utter control
of the computer, right?

Well, based on ADP's conclusion, the two non-original users do not. For
whatever reason, my account & the payroll administrator's account cannot
"write" to the registry. If I log on as "Administrator" I have no
problems. I can access all functions of the ADP software.

I have similar set-ups on other machines (Administrator, myself, and a
primary user). Those machines are running Windows 2000. They have no
problems accessing the ADP software and utilizing all features.

I have tried setting up a new user from scratch, defining them as an
"Administrator" and I get the same result; when they access the ADP
software, an error message is generated that, according to ADP, means
that user does not have write-privileges to the registry.

I have completely uninstalled & re-installed the ADP software (with
ADP's assistance to insure that I was removing every hint of their
software). This did nothing.

I do not understand how I could NOT have write privileges to the
registry. Does anyone have a clue how this could happen? And, more
importantly, how to fix it?

Carrie Garth

<http://www.microsoft.com/communities/privacy.mspx >
| Message
| I have recently upgraded a piece of software (ADP PCPayroll)
| and everything went fine on all my workstations except my one
| Windows XP Professional station.
|
| I spent nearly an entire day on the phone with ADP trying to
| resolve the issue and they finally concluded that, "the user
| does not have complete access privileges to the registry".
|
| <SNIP> Since all users are members of the Administrators group,
| they should have complete and utter control of the computer,
| right? Well, based on ADP's conclusion, the two non-original
| users do not. <SNIP>

Here is a quote from "Joe Richards [MVP]" about the built-in
Administrator account and some software coder practices:

Google Groups Link to the thread:
http://www.google.com/groups?&selm=uWna5nV4BHA.2816@tkmsftngp05