reboot looping? - driver load phase on HP7955

G

Had a bit of a storm last night, and it appears that my power strip may not have done the job. 7955 appeared to be hung in the PF recovery reboot - the little progress block just kept cycling and cycling and getting nowhere

Various reboots (last known, etc) appear to be hanging, and a safe mode boot lists a screen+ of the drivers and then just hangs/loops. Don't know the internal processes, but I'm guessing that when loading drivers (as listed on the screen) there is a process which verifies/queries each related device. I fired up one of my backup machines (ME, not XP) using the same keyboard and mouse, and found on boot up that the mouse had failed. Replaced the mouse, and the ME machine came up just fine.

So: am I wasting my time firing up the XP machine with the replacement mouse, figuring that that will solve the problem? I don't have the recovery cd with this box (factory refurb and didn't come with one), and can't get far enough up to use onboard recovery. Hoping to save myself a trip to the repairman. *G

thanks!

G

Got home and tried rebooting with the replacement mouse. Nope. No go

The last driver on the screen before it quits/loops/whatever is amdagp.sy

Does this help?

Ask a Question