Questions about LINQ and other future features

  • Start date Start date

Robert McCall

Peace be with you all,

Now that the WPF, WCF & WWF are .NET 3.0 (which is really
just .NET 2.0 + a ton of new assemblies), what will be the version
name for the features that include LINQ and other features such
as anonymous types?

Will that version upgrade require a CLR version change, or will
it still use the same CLR 2.0? (Please correct me if my
terminology is off.) I know that C# will change (of course), but
what I'm most curious about is will the Reflection API (Type,
MemberInfo et al) change with it, or will that remain the same?

And, finally, is there a definitive list of features within that
version step and/or a tentative/projected release date?

Thanks in advance,
Robert McCall

Robert said:
Peace be with you all,

Now that the WPF, WCF & WWF are .NET 3.0 (which is really
just .NET 2.0 + a ton of new assemblies), what will be the version
name for the features that include LINQ and other features such
as anonymous types?

Reportedly that version will be known as .NET 3.5, but who knows how many
times that'll change before release :)
Will that version upgrade require a CLR version change, or will
it still use the same CLR 2.0? (Please correct me if my
terminology is off.) I know that C# will change (of course), but
what I'm most curious about is will the Reflection API (Type,
MemberInfo et al) change with it, or will that remain the same?

I'm not aware of anything in it that will require a CLR version change, but
my expectation is that there will in fact be a CLR version change at that
time. I would expect the reflection API to change little if at all, in any
case, I would expect backwards compatibility.
And, finally, is there a definitive list of features within that
version step and/or a tentative/projected release date?

No and No. Sometime in 2007 is the expectation, although I've heard some
rumblings of 2008. Nothing official in either case.

Your only source for official information on this stuff is the MSDN site.
Go to msdn.microsoft.com, click on Visual Studio, then Future Versions in
the left-side menu strip. That page is updated as official information
about future releases is made public. The URL is currently
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/vstudio/aa700830.aspx, but I'm not sure
that URL is stable, so I wanted to let you know how to find the page if the
URL changes.

-cd

On a random note, I notice the linq project has been very silent lately as
May 2006 CTP being the last. Not sure what to read into that. Could be
good, could be not so good.

--
William Stacey [C# MVP]

"Carl Daniel [VC++ MVP]" <[email protected]>
wrote in message | Robert McCall wrote:
| > Peace be with you all,
| >
| > Now that the WPF, WCF & WWF are .NET 3.0 (which is really
| > just .NET 2.0 + a ton of new assemblies), what will be the version
| > name for the features that include LINQ and other features such
| > as anonymous types?

Will that version upgrade require a CLR version change, or will
it still use the same CLR 2.0? (Please correct me if my
terminology is off.) I know that C# will change (of course), but
what I'm most curious about is will the Reflection API (Type,
MemberInfo et al) change with it, or will that remain the same?

Last I heard was that it will run on the 2.0 CLR, no changes are
needed.

Mattias

Back
Top