Problem with Automatic Scans

  • Start date Start date

I'm running Win2K. I have setup WD to run every day at 9:00am. It never
runs succesfully. I don't see it in the scheduler but I just checked the log
in the "Scheduled Tasks" and it exits with a return of "0" everyday.
Any ideas?
Thanks

See if this might be related to your problem if your also running the
latest CCleaner:

From: 2harts4ever
Subject: Defender Says I haven't scanned ... but I run one every night!!
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2006 16:10:02 -0700
Newsgroups: microsoft.private.security.spyware.general

I'm assuming what your talking about is that CCleaner will delete the files
that indicate when the last scan was run. I don't run CCleaner every night
so I don't think this is the problem. Is an exit code of "0" a success code?
Thanks

Yes "0" should indicate success:

"MP Scheduled Scan.job" (MpCmdRun.exe)
Started 6/16/2006 10:00:00 AM
"MP Scheduled Scan.job" (MpCmdRun.exe)
Finished 6/16/2006 10:00:34 AM
Result: The task completed with an exit code of (0).

One way to tell if CCleaner is messing you up is to turn it off for WD of
course. Many complaints about this in the CCleaner forums, but I don't
really know all the ramifications since I personally turned it off the day
I installed CCleaner v1.30.310

Might not be, I just know it is hidden unless you enable the hidden tasks
view within XP. Can anyone else confirm that W2K Scheduled Tasks shows the
Defender MP Scheduled Scan by default without having to perform some magic
first?

Took me awhile to find the Advanced option. Most people don't know that the
Menu Bar in Windows Explorer changes to add the Advanced menu option.
It's here to change the View Hidden Tasks.

However, I cannot see on Windows 2000 the Show Hidden. It may not show
unless there is a hidden job there, but I cannot see how to create a hidden
job on either XP or 2000?

Guys,
I've had the hidden job from WD in the schuduler but no "show hidden" came
up. I know it was there because there were log entry's that it ran and
exited with a status 0.
As far as I can tell W2k has no way to show "hidden" scheduled tasks.
In the mean time I've created my own job from the command line and kicked it
off.
"C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MpCmdRun.exe" -scan -2
and run it every day.

Thanks.

Back
Top