Power Supply Problem!?

  • Start date Start date

Leon_Amirreza

Hi, I know this may not be related to Vista but did not know any better
place to
post my question (More appropriate weblogs and links are appriciated):

when I turn on the computer test the chasis (the metal cover) of my power
supply with a Continuity Tester suprisingly the screwdriver lights!

any clues whats the problem and how should I avoid it? I know i can short
circuit the case to ground to protected users from shock but it may cause
power leakege (and more energy consumption) and its not a long term
solution.

what should I do to detect to problem and solve it!?

Leon_Amirreza said:
Hi, I know this may not be related to Vista but did not know any better
place to
post my question (More appropriate weblogs and links are appriciated):

when I turn on the computer test the chasis (the metal cover) of my power
supply with a Continuity Tester suprisingly the screwdriver lights!

any clues whats the problem and how should I avoid it? I know i can short
circuit the case to ground to protected users from shock but it may cause
power leakege (and more energy consumption) and its not a long term
solution.

what should I do to detect to problem and solve it!?

You didn't say what the power supply is. Have you checked on the mfg's
website for information? Is this a brand name computer?

Leon_Amirreza said:
Hi, I know this may not be related to Vista but did not know any better
place to
post my question (More appropriate weblogs and links are appriciated):

when I turn on the computer test the chasis (the metal cover) of my power
supply with a Continuity Tester suprisingly the screwdriver lights!

any clues whats the problem and how should I avoid it? I know i can short
circuit the case to ground to protected users from shock but it may cause
power leakege (and more energy consumption) and its not a long term
solution.

what should I do to detect to problem and solve it!?

More info needed...does your tester have a battery in it? If it has a
battery in it, you are checking continuity and the screwdriver should
light up. If your tester is the type without a battery, then you are
checking for voltage. See, 2 different tests depending on what kind of
tester you are using.

Hi,
Its without the battery!

Dave T. said:
More info needed...does your tester have a battery in it? If it has a
battery in it, you are checking continuity and the screwdriver should
light up. If your tester is the type without a battery, then you are
checking for voltage. See, 2 different tests depending on what kind of
tester you are using.

the cable used to connect the power supply to the plug in the wall has 3
pins. i guess the middle is for ground. I disconnected the ground pin in the
wall socket so actually the ground pin is not connected to the ground.
I took it to a friends house wich has a power supply tester (i dunno wich
model) but it tested my power supply like this:

it conncted to the socket to the wall and then connected the plug that
connects to mother board to that tester. the tester has LEDs for theses
voltage:
+5v
-5v
+12v
-12v

He said that my power supply works correct cause all LEDs lights!

ATX GPX green 380A
Colin Barnhorst said:
You didn't say what the power supply is. Have you checked on the mfg's
website for information? Is this a brand name computer?

I contacted the manufacturer support they said this:

1- Its the power that induced by circuits inside the power supply (not a
short circuit) and its not above 200mA and can be solved by proper
grounding.

I know my power supply is not properly grounded cause i disconnected the
ground wire BUT
does this statement by the support personnel sounds logical to a circuit
engineer

OR ARE THEY WHITE WASHING A SERIOUS PROBLEM IN THEIR PRODUCT?

any comments would be appriciated.

I know my power supply is not properly grounded cause i disconnected the
ground wire

Which means that you are a moron and that you are taking up everyone's
time unnecessarily.

Sorry But
Have u ever seen a electrical device that its metal cover lights the
continuity Tester!?
Have you?

(for example) does yur SAT reciever metal cover lights the tester? why SAT
reciever inside power supply doesnt have this effect? or TV or ....?

Leon_Amirreza said:
I contacted the manufacturer support they said this:

1- Its the power that induced by circuits inside the power supply (not a
short circuit) and its not above 200mA and can be solved by proper
grounding.

I know my power supply is not properly grounded cause i disconnected the
ground wire BUT
does this statement by the support personnel sounds logical to a circuit
engineer

OR ARE THEY WHITE WASHING A SERIOUS PROBLEM IN THEIR PRODUCT?

any comments would be appriciated.

Connect the ground wire back up, install the power supply into the computer,
and then come back here when you actually have a problem with the computer..

--
Mike Hall - MVP
How to construct a good post..

Leon_Amirreza said:
the cable used to connect the power supply to the plug in the wall has 3
pins. i guess the middle is for ground. I disconnected the ground pin in
the wall socket so actually the ground pin is not connected to the ground.
I took it to a friends house wich has a power supply tester (i dunno wich
model) but it tested my power supply like this:

it conncted to the socket to the wall and then connected the plug that
connects to mother board to that tester. the tester has LEDs for theses
voltage:
+5v
-5v
+12v
-12v

He said that my power supply works correct cause all LEDs lights!
Leon, have a qualified electrician look at the installation. If an appliance
(computer) has a grounding (three wire plug), ALL further connections must
be grounded. If an appliance (some portable drills) has a label that says
"double insulated" and the manufacturer has only supplied a two wire plug,
no further grounding is required. Disconnecting a ground wire is very
dangerous and could seriously injure or kill someone.

Leon_Amirreza said:
I contacted the manufacturer support they said this:

1- Its the power that induced by circuits inside the power supply (not a
short circuit) and its not above 200mA and can be solved by proper
grounding.

I know my power supply is not properly grounded cause i disconnected the
ground wire BUT
does this statement by the support personnel sounds logical to a circuit
engineer

OR ARE THEY WHITE WASHING A SERIOUS PROBLEM IN THEIR PRODUCT?

any comments would be appriciated.

If it were a serious problem you computer would not be working. Ground the
damn thing like you're supposed to and move on. It is nothing more than a
field effect.

Have u ever seen a electrical device that its metal cover lights the
continuity Tester!?
Have you?

Yes I did. As a former electrician I can tell you that this is normal if the Power supplies supply (Electricity) is not grounded. Ground the damm PS as it is supposed to be and get on with your life

--
Peter

"Leon_Amirreza" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

Hobo said:
Yes! Considering that you have eliminated proper grounding, that
explanations sounds entirely accurate. Have an electrician restore a
proper ground connection, and further, as a safety concern, I would
suggest you not plug in that system until it is repaired!

Or buy one helluva static mat! :)

I disconnected the ground pin in the wall socket so actually the
ground pin is not connected to the ground. I took it to a friends
house wich has apower supplytester (i dunno wich model) but it
tested mypower supplylike this:
it conncted to the socket to the wall and then connected the plug that
connects to mother board to that tester. the tester has LEDs for theses
voltage:...
He said that mypower supplyworks correct cause all LEDs lights!

Anyone who knows electricity also knows that a power supply tester
can report some failures but can never report a power supply as good.
Meanwhile, your failure clearly is not detectable by a power supply
tester. Your friend should have known that.

Appliances will always leak some current into metal chassis.
Always. If that current has no place to go, then resulting voltage
increases to 60 or 120 volts. What voltage will your tester light
at? If you don't have numbers, then you don't know what you are
looking at and cannot get useful answers here.

That chassis without safety ground (third AC prong) with become >60
volts. What is the minimum voltage to light your testing
screwdriver? You must always know the numbers if only to get a useful
reply here.

Power supply tester says same thing. +5 volt light can light when
voltage is too low but not zero. What did that power supply tester
report? What are numbers that do light, does not light, and might
light that tester's LEDs? Notice - three conditions. Again, without
numbers, nothing useful is learned.

Get that safety ground connected. Buy yourself a multimeter if you
want to learn anything. Then report back as others have recommended.
Even you friend should have learned long ago how useless his power
supply tester is - especially for your problem. You should have known
that the third 'safety ground' prong is essential to protecting human
life - must not be removed. The guy who implemented a safety ground
knew far more than you. Why did you remove it? Power supply tester
also reported nothing useful. How would you know? No numbers is a
first indicator.

Back
Top