Pop up Reminder Box

I have a problem with a reminder pop-up box which appears every half hour, if
not already on screen. Once on screen there is no way of deleting it - no
reaction to right clicking. The top band of the box contains the message
"Reminder/current date/current time". Inside the box is the standard Explorer
message " i The page cannot be displayed... The page you are looking for
cannot be displayed etc,etc. At the foot of the box is "Cannot find server or
DNS error. Internet Explorer. I am running Windows XP with SP2 installed, and
Internet Explorer 6.
I can send a screen shot if that helps. I hope someone can help, it is very
annoying, obviously, but I am also concerned that it may be malicious -
although I have scanned thoroughly with Nortons Antivirus 2005 and with their
internet facility. My computer is also protected with the Kerio firewall and
three different spyware catching pieces of software have been used on it:
Adaware, Spybot and SpySubtract.
Incidentally, it is on my computer - I don't have to be connected to the
internet.
Many thanks

Don Varnau

Hi,
This might be coming from a legitimate program- perhaps reminding you to
register or something similar. Check out these options to see if you can
identify the program.
1. Crtl-Alt-Del when that window is open. Look at applications and
processes. Search Google for unknown items.
2. Run msconfig> startup. Anything listed that might be opening this window?
3. Control Panel> Scheduled tasks. Anything suspicious there?

Or, the malware removal programs can't catch everything. Start at
http://forum.aumha.org/viewtopic.php?t=4075 Then go to
http://www.aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm work through the preliminary cleaning
steps then post a HijackThis log to the forum at

Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE/OE]

"Ron Warrington" wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

BluestarVermont

I had this _exact_ problem with an HP machine running XP Home Edition
and found out that a file called "*HPSdpApp.exe*" was in the Scheduler
and running. It was titled "*easy Internet sign-up*" and was located
in the c:\program files\ directory. I deleted the file and the problem
never returned.

Good luck!

-