pointing to a specific dns server for a specific zone

MTXExpert

Hello

I have a DNS server W2000 AD controlling my domain "DOM01.COM"

It is configured with a redirector pointing to my dns ISP provider

A proxy is used to access Internet

Every thing is fine.

Now we have merged with an other company. Our two networks are
interconnected with a router.

The "second company" has his own DNS server it controls "FR.CCF"

My users must navigate on the second company web site..

How I must configure either my dns or client computer to do my name
resolution and the second company name resolution.

I am not "allowed" to change any thing to the "second company dns".

I tried to add a forwarder pointing to the "second company dns" with no
success

I tried to add to my client pc as secondary DNS the "second company dns" no
success

The only good result is if I put at first position the "second company dns"
but I don't want all the name resolution to be forwarded to the "second
company dns server"

Regards

RV

Kevin D. Goodknecht [MVP]

In
MTXExpert said:
[...]

You will either need to use a secondary zone or check the box on the
forwarders tab "Do not use recursion"

Jack Wang [MSFT]

Hi

Thank you for posting!

The checkbox "Do not use recursion" on the Forwarders tab in DNS MMC is
dependent
on the checkbox "Enable Forwarders". When "Enable Forwarders" is checked
and "Do
not use recursion" is unchecked (Default) the dns server will query root
hints if
it cannot contact the forwarders. Servers using forwarders in an exclusive
mode
are known as slaves. Checking "Do not use recursion" simply configures the
dns
server as a slave forwarder and prevents the use of the root hints listed
on the
root hints tab. If the forwarder cannot resolve the request, the slave
returns a
query failure to the original requestor.

If checked, the checkbox "Disable recursion" in the advanced tab prevents
the dns
server from querying any external source to answer a query from a client.
If that
answer is in the cache it will return that or return "server failure" as
seen in a
netmon trace. Simply put, checking "Disable recursion" on the advanced tab
prevents
forwarding even if the checkbox for "Enable forwarders" has been checked.

So, all the name resolution will be forwarded to the other DNS server. If
convenience, I suggest you contact the administrator of the other DNS
server to configure secondary zone. Then, your DNS will have the records of
the other DNS server and does not forward any name resolution to them.

Hope this helps!

Sincerely,
Jack Wang, MCSE 2000, MCSA, MCDBA, MCSD
Microsoft Partner Support

from your issue.

| From: "MTXExpert" <[email protected]>
| Subject: pointing to a specific dns server for a specific zone
| Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2004 15:25:17 +0100
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns
|
| Hello
|
| I have a DNS server W2000 AD controlling my domain "DOM01.COM"
|
| It is configured with a redirector pointing to my dns ISP provider
|
| A proxy is used to access Internet
|
| Every thing is fine.
|
| Now we have merged with an other company. Our two networks are
| interconnected with a router.
|
| The "second company" has his own DNS server it controls "FR.CCF"
|

| My users must navigate on the second company web site..
|
| How I must configure either my dns or client computer to do my name
| resolution and the second company name resolution.
|
| I am not "allowed" to change any thing to the "second company dns".
|

| I tried to add a forwarder pointing to the "second company dns" with no
| success
|
| I tried to add to my client pc as secondary DNS the "second company dns"
no
| success
|
| The only good result is if I put at first position the "second company
dns"
| but I don't want all the name resolution to be forwarded to the "second
| company dns server"
|
| Regards
|
| RV

Jack Wang [MSFT]

You are welcome! I will keep an eye on your update.