Please how to fix History

  • Start date Start date

zero

Hello,

Can someone tell me how to fix the IE history?
If I log as admin and delete the history in user folder
fix, works good until the next restart.

Then a desktop.ini file is show where history should
be. Tried with programs and the effect is the same.

Hi zero (again) - :-o

You've had this problem which has been ongoing for some time now. The
conventional methods which work for virtually every instance have seemingly
failed in your case. The only thing I can think of is to un-install the
Third-Party program which you initially used to fix your problem. Then see
if the method as described at Mike Burgess' site
http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/delcache.htm which has been provided by many
people will remedy it.

The Desktop.ini folder is a hidden folder; when one enables to show all
folders, it appears in various places. When hidden folders are not enabled,
it becomes..... Hidden. However, I will say that a Desktop.ini does not show
in my History folder, nor in the Explorer>History pane.

Something is corrupt.
--

LuckyStrike
(e-mail address removed)

How to make a good newsgroup post:
http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

I've done that many times already. What happens is that the problem is fix
until next restart.

What other things could be corrupted?

You've done what many times? Un-installed the third-party program, or run
the *Delete the History folder and index.dat* many times? Which is it? I
hope you've removed that third-party program.

OK - you can try this other Third-Party program (freeware) and see if it
works. No, guarantee here, as it may prove difficult to remove system
folders or files. Be patient, read the directions well, and give it a try.
:-)

Move on Boot
http://www.softwarepatch.com/tips/howto-delete-xp.html
http://www.snapfiles.com/get/moveonboot.html

Another program (not freeware, but I believe there is a shareware
trial-period) is PurgeIE. See below. I think it is authored by Don Varnau
who frequents this newsgroup quite a bit.

First, look here to see if any of these programs exist on your PC which may
be at the root of the problem.
http://www.purgeie.com/lockhist.htm

http://www.purgeie.com/index.htm
http://www.purgeie.com/tutorial/tutorial.htm
http://www.purgeie.com/indexdat.htm
http://www.purgeie.com/errcache.htm
http://www.purgeie.com/features.htm

What else could be corrupted? I don't know at this point. I'd say to try to
re-create all the Index.dat files from *all* of the folders which *may* be
corrupted. They are tied in very closely together. This would include the
ContentIE.5 folder, the History folder, and any application/user folders.

HTH -
--

LuckyStrike
(e-mail address removed)

How to make a good newsgroup post:
http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

Hi LS,
I'm flattered, but can't take credit for PurgeIE. Jim Lawler is the
author/owner of PurgeIE. I post links to his site occasionally because he
has some good info on the the TIF, History & index.dat.

But, I hope that zero doesn't give up. There's a solution for this...
somewhere.

Don

Hi Don -

Big Oops on that! I am glad you set me straight about it, and am further
hoping that Jim Lawler will excuse my faux-pas. <g> I first stumbled upon
you and it from Sandi Hardmeiers Site, and have referred to it from time to
time

Weren't there some specific DOS directions on re-creating the History folder
on the PurgeIE site at one time? I could have sworn that there were, and
even thought I might have saved those pages, but I cannot find them now.
Possibly the pages have been re-written? When one performs DOS commands due
to pressing needs to do so, one can get into a state of mental anxiety, so I
might well be incorrect. (known to happen) :-D

As for Zero... Yeah, it's too bad what's happening there. The poor soul has
posted this recurring problem at least 4 times.

Thanks, and best regards too.
--

LuckyStrike
(e-mail address removed)
Don Varnau said:
Hi LS,
I'm flattered, but can't take credit for PurgeIE. Jim Lawler is the
author/owner of PurgeIE. I post links to his site occasionally because he
has some good info on the the TIF, History & index.dat.

But, I hope that zero doesn't give up. There's a solution for this...
somewhere.

Don

"LuckyStrike" <LS[at]smokedamagedfurniture.youcandriveitawaytoday.com> wrote
in message
Another program (not freeware, but I believe there is a shareware
trial-period) is PurgeIE. See below. I think it is authored by Don Varnau
who frequents this newsgroup quite a bit.

Deleting the History folder should result in a new, undamaged folder. I
think zero has a program running that's corrupting the new History folder.
(I wouldn't be surprised if it's from Norton/Symantec.) Or... his install of
IE is damaged and a repair should help.

As for munging addresses... I can't help myself <G> Eliminating those @'s
might keep just a few addresses out of the hands of the spammers.

Regards,
Don

Don Varnau said:
Hi LS,
I'm flattered, but can't take credit for PurgeIE. Jim Lawler is the
author/owner of PurgeIE. I post links to his site occasionally because he
has some good info on the the TIF, History & index.dat.

But, I hope that zero doesn't give up. There's a solution for this...
somewhere.

Don
"LuckyStrike" <LS[at]smokedamagedfurniture.youcandriveitawaytoday.com> wrote
in message
Another program (not freeware, but I believe there is a shareware
trial-period) is PurgeIE. See below. I think it is authored by Don Varnau
who frequents this newsgroup quite a bit.

Purge IE didn't work at all
Track Eraser worked but the restart makes the problem come back.
My history is still broken.
Deleting as admin works but restart makes the problem come back
I use NAV but NAV was there before the problem started.
The problem started deleting index.dat files found in search (dumb me,
following instructions...)
I disagree about third party soft causing it...
But really don't know what else touch... many people never look at
history... but I do.

That's sad...

Don Varnau said:
Deleting the History folder should result in a new, undamaged folder. I
think zero has a program running that's corrupting the new History folder.
(I wouldn't be surprised if it's from Norton/Symantec.) Or... his install of
IE is damaged and a repair should help.

As for munging addresses... I can't help myself <G> Eliminating those @'s
might keep just a few addresses out of the hands of the spammers.

Regards,
Don

"LuckyStrike" <LS[at]smokedamagedfurniture.youcandriveitawaytoday.com> wrote
in message news:[email protected]...

Don Varnau said:
Hi LS,
I'm flattered, but can't take credit for PurgeIE. Jim Lawler is the
author/owner of PurgeIE. I post links to his site occasionally because he
has some good info on the the TIF, History & index.dat.

But, I hope that zero doesn't give up. There's a solution for this...
somewhere.

Don
"LuckyStrike" <LS[at]smokedamagedfurniture.youcandriveitawaytoday.com> wrote
in message
Another program (not freeware, but I believe there is a shareware
trial-period) is PurgeIE. See below. I think it is authored by Don Varnau
who frequents this newsgroup quite a bit.

At this point I am at a loss to offer any further suggestions. I'm sorry
that PurgeIE didn't help, as well as the myriad other suggestions which I've
offered.

As far as having doubts as to whether a Third-Party application (directly
related to cleaning history, or one for *any* other purpose) that you've
installed is responsible, that's your call, and you have made it.
--

LuckyStrike
(e-mail address removed)

How to make a good newsgroup post:
http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
Purge IE didn't work at all
Track Eraser worked but the restart makes the problem come back.
My history is still broken.
Deleting as admin works but restart makes the problem come back
I use NAV but NAV was there before the problem started.
The problem started deleting index.dat files found in search (dumb me,
following instructions...)
I disagree about third party soft causing it...
But really don't know what else touch... many people never look at
history... but I do.

That's sad...

install
<snipped>

While searching around I noticed that aside from the few posts with zero
that we've been in on together, you've had a Thread just between the two of
you quite a bit earlier. It sure is a persistent problem! But anyway... yes,
it *should*.

Thanks for the munge. <g>

Zero,
Did you try a repair/reinstall of IE?
http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k/IEFAQ.htm >>> Tip #12 (WinXP)

Or, try creating a new user account. See if the new account has the problem.
279783 - HOW TO Create and Configure User Accounts in Windows XP:

Don
--
MVP IE/OE
Please reply to the newsgroup so that others may participate.