PLEASE HELP! No internet after Vista Business upgrade

I performed a Vista upgrade using a Dell OEM Business Vista disc on my
Precision 340. The upgrade worked very well, Vista performed great after the
upgrade except it wont see my internet connection.

I can connect to my router via the ip address in ie7, I can see the router
is connected. But Vista simply will not see the connection.

I am using a Speedtouch 510 modem/router that came with my Bulldog broadband
setup.

After hours of messing around I decided to flatline the pc and do a fresh
install from scratch. After the install Vista couldnt find the drivers my
NIC. So I manually installed the xp drivers and then I could see my locat
network, but again no internet. Same as before I can connect to the router
via ip in the browser, I can see the router connected but no internet.

I have disabled ipv6, all firewalls in Vista and on the router but made no
difference.

Please help its driving me nuts!!!

Jdr

Mambawan said:
[...]

In Control Panel click on Network and Sharing Center and see what
connection you have. Have you installed properly drivers for your internet
connection device? Check also your set-up connection or network
and there must be something there.

I'd start and try also the Diagnose and repair
(in the top left corner in the same window )
in Control Panel > Network and Sharing Center.

Yeah I tried the detect and repair, but it said the DNS is unreachable and to
contact my isp. I called them and their answer was 'We don't support vista'
Thanks for your help!

The router shouldn't need any drivers. It dials up and handles the
connection, I am connecting into it via a nic and cable. The router is the
dhcp server, so simply plugging in it should just pick up an address and be
away. It worked perfectly before the upgrade.

Also I have noticed in the internet connection wizard there is no option for
connecting through your local network, like there was in xp and 2k, and even
95 if I remember rightly. It should behave any differently from plugging in a
laptop into my work lan...

MICHAEL

Sometimes, simply rebooting fixes the problem. You may want
to restart/reset your router, too.

-Michael

* Mambawan:

KristleBawl

If your router has a firewall, check Vista firewall settings. If it includes
Norton or McAfee, then they might have a firewall running, too.

Although Vista is compatible with broadband, my ISP's software is not yet
ready for Vista, but I'm still getting access.

KB

"Mambawan" wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

MICHAEL

Just a suggestion.

Also, try turning off UPnP in Vista and/or the router, too.
Some routers can not handle the flood of UPnP traffic Vista
generates.

-Michael

* Mambawan:

What do you mean by your ips's software?

I thought once the router was connected it simply acts as its own network...
DHCP server. It shouldn't be any different from picking up an internet
connection through your office lan

KristleBawl

Did you check the support page on the manufacturer's website for your router
for Visa compatible drivers?

KB

"Mambawan" wrote in message

KristleBawl

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/931550/en-us
When a DHCP server is unavailable on a Windows Vista-based computer...

If you rechecked the settings (in case Vista changed anything) and verified
that it isn't a software firewall included with Vista conflicting with the
Router Firewall, then call Bulldog tech support back.

Some routers/modems do require updated drivers, and Vista doesn't include
them. My ISP's software included AntiVirus and automatic configuring of
connection settings, POP/SMTP mail servers and NNTP news server included.
When I bought a new Vista pc and ran the install software, all the settings
were configured but the other extras were not Vista compatible.

KB

"Mambawan" wrote in message

KristleBawl said:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/931550/en-us
When a DHCP server is unavailable on a Windows Vista-based computer...

If you rechecked the settings (in case Vista changed anything) and verified
that it isn't a software firewall included with Vista conflicting with the
Router Firewall, then call Bulldog tech support back.

Some routers/modems do require updated drivers, and Vista doesn't include
them. My ISP's software included AntiVirus and automatic configuring of
connection settings, POP/SMTP mail servers and NNTP news server included.
When I bought a new Vista pc and ran the install software, all the settings
were configured but the other extras were not Vista compatible.
I've never heard of drivers for routers.

You need to figure out who isn't getting an IP. The router or Vista

Go into your router and see if it has a IP from the modem if you see one try
a release and then renew and see if it can get an IP from the modem. If not
then its your router reboot your modem and router and try again.

If your router has an IP then go into Vista and open a cmd window and type
IPCONFIG /all and see if you have a valid IP and what your DNS is pointing
to. also try a release and renew and see if you get an IP from the router. If
you can't then you have something wrong on Vista (firewall, DNS setting) Also
You may need to point your nic cards DNS setting to your router for it to
find the DNS server. enter your routers IP into the preferred DNS setting.

Hope this helps

I may have missed it but what are you hook to Cable, DSL, FIOS ??