Persistent AutoComplete error

  • Start date Start date

Limon

One particular url always pops up in the address line. To
my knowledge I have never visited this address. In any
case, I want to get rid of it and cannot.

Have tried clear history and clear forms/clear passwords.
No luck - all other addresses are gone except this one.
Have done file search (in Explorer) looking for address in
both file name and file text. Nope. Have searched the
registry for the url. Uh uh.

Where could this entry be and how do I get delete it.

Don,

Thanks for suggestions However, this is one persistent
pest.

Cleared history, cookies, offline content, autocomplete
forms, and autocomplete passwords. Deleted entire History,
Temp, and Temporary Internet Files directories (following
instructions at mvps.org). Then deleted all index.dat
files (again see mvps.org).

Note: the search function in Explorer found 5 index.dat
files. I found 2 others by looking through every single
folder in the Windows folder. That's a lot of folders.

All this does not get rid of the darned url! What do you
do for a really hardcase anomaly.
This URL is probably coming from the index.dat file in the History folder.
Free History Eraser from
http://smartprotector.com/eraser/free-history-eraser.htm will delete the
History folder (and the index.dat file) and a new one will be created when
you restart.
Or the History folder can be deleted manually:
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/delcache.htm

Hope this helps,
Don
--
MVP IE/OE
Please reply to the newsgroup so that others may participate.

.

Which OS? Are you sure that you deleted the proper History folder? Did it
seem to be deleted?

Have you checked for malware? A program may be recreating this URL.
Work through the solutions (CWShredder, Ad-aware, Spybot) at
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm Also note the security tips on that
page.

Additional information at:
The Parasite Fight http://www.aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm