Pc hard to start in the mornings

phil

My problem is; that when I try to start my pc after it
has switched off over night, during the post screens I
get message that say one or both of the 2 sata drives
could not be detected, I then have to restart the boot
again and I may have to do this 6 times in order to get
the machine to run. When it is running it is great and
can be retstarted as many times as you want. The problem
only re-occurs the next day after it has been switched
off all night.

System spec:-
Motherboard Gigabyte GA 7VAXP-A ULTRA
Cpu Amd Athlon XP 2700+
Ram 2 x 512mb DDR400
Vga Creative GeForce FX 5600
Sound Onboard
Hdds 2 x Seagate 80G sata
1 x Maxtor 40g ata 133
Cd/Dvd 1 x cd rewriter
1 x dvd reader
Case Suntek TH 656 300w psu
Case fans 2 x 8cm
OS XP Home sp1

All device drivers are up to date. Any help with this
problem would be very much appreciated, as I am sure you
can imagine it is quite annoying.
Thanks in anticipation
Phil

Shenan Stanley

phil said:
[...]

Have you tried turning on a 6 or more second hard drive delay in your system
BIOS?

Les Herrman

[...]

I would suspect that 300W PS.

That is a little small for a system with that much hardware in it.

Jim Macklin

Ditto on the power supply, also could be a poor connector
that shrinks a but when cool and breaks contact.

--
<- Shenan ->
--

.
I can't find anything in the BIOS that would allow me to

Opinicus

My problem is; that when I try to start my pc after it
has switched off over night, during the post screens I
get message that say one or both of the 2 sata drives
could not be detected, I then have to restart the boot
again and I may have to do this 6 times in order to get
the machine to run. When it is running it is great and
can be retstarted as many times as you want. The problem
only re-occurs the next day after it has been switched
off all night.

I saw behavior similar to this with my old motherboard--which subsequently
died when several capacitors blew up. I'm also seeing it now from time to
time with the new motherboard except that this time there's an error message
that occurs on reboot:

<quote>
During the last boot-up your system hung for an improper CPU Speed setting.
Your system is now working in safe mode. To optimize the system performance
and reliability, make sure the CPU speed conforms to the specifications of
your CPU.
</quote>

Does the room that the PC is in get very cold at night? That seems to be the
problem in my case.

Frank

phil said:
My problem is; that when I try to start my pc after it
has switched off over night, during the post screens I
get message that say one or both of the 2 sata drives
could not be detected, I then have to restart the boot
again and I may have to do this 6 times in order to get
the machine to run. When it is running it is great and
can be retstarted as many times as you want. The problem
only re-occurs the next day after it has been switched
off all night.
Phil

Check to see if your CMOS settings are changing. Could be a bad
battery.