Page Unavailable (some users only) - Windows XP SP2

  • Start date Start date

My PC (with all current OS/IE updates) has 3 users. I and one other person
are Admins. I have a dial-up ISP. I installed XP SP2 some weeks back, but
since then, any of the 3 users can open a good connection with my ISP, but
only I can get MSIE to work. The two other users get the "Page Unavailable"
message every time, despite the good connection (which they can get other
apps to use without any problems). Machine is virus-free and I can't fathom
why IE works for me but not for the two other users (I reviewed their IE
settings 'til the cows came home, without success). Consequently, they have
to logon under my ID to access the Net, which I'm not thrilled about.

Hi,
Malware (adware, spyware, parasites, etc) can affect only some user
accounts.

Download and run CWShredder, Ad-aware and Spybot.
See: http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
Also note the security tips and other important information on that page.
Also, Microsoft Windows AntiSpyware (Beta) is proving to be an effective
tool, but it is still in beta testing.

Additional information at:
The Parasite Fight http://www.aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
More security tips at http://www.aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
Bugs, Glitches & Stuffups: http://www.mvps.org/inetexplorer/Darnit.htm
What you can do about spyware and other unwanted software:
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/spywarewhat.mspx

Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE/OE]

"Ian_in_Ottawa" wrote in message

Good advice, Don, but unfortunately not likely the issue here. Updated and
ran Ad-Aware as one of my first troubleshooting steps and use McAfee
VirusScan Online (which now also picks up some malware). Still searching for
an answer.

Don Varnau said:
[...]

Ad-aware is good, but no one program catches everything. And the AV programs
are starting to target spyware, parasites, etc. but I would still run Spybot
and MSAS (beta.)

How about IE> Tools> manage add-ons. Disable anything unknown, suspicious or
unnecessary.

Might not help- but won't hurt...
Log on as an administrator.
From Start> Run, type cmd, and then click OK.
At the command prompt, type the following, and then press ENTER:
netsh Winsock reset

Any version of XP- try this winsock repair tool:
WinsockXP Fix- WinXP http://www.spychecker.com/program/winsockxpfix.html
Also, with instructions, at http://www.iup.edu/house/resnet/winfix.shtm

Other possibilities at
http://www.mvps.org/inetexplorer/answers.htm#dns