P0wer options on Laptop won't open

Jamie57

I hope I'm in the right area. The headings never apply exactly to my problems
LOL
I'm fixing a laptop for my girlfriends daughter an Acer apire 3610 running
XP service pack 2. She has a bad habit of downloading every virus and trojan
on the net.
Got it all cleared out using several programs and it seems clean now. no
running issues except that it turns off the monitor after a minute of
inactivity while on the charger. it then goes into hibernate after only 5
mins. Quite annoying really. I can't get the power options in control panel
to open. I see a small window open for a micro second down near the start
button but thats it. I have admin rights so it's noit that.
any ideas?
Thanks

Jamie57

I've tried to run the powercfg.cpl option too. no joy quick flicker of the
screen and nothing.

pamdavis2

I've tried to run the powercfg.cpl option too. no joy quickflickerof thescreenand nothing.

The only difference is that my computer is a desktop and not a laptop,
but the screen will flicker when trying to download a wallpaper or
screensaver.

Dallas Overturf

Two things you can check (I'm not an MVP here so take their advice over
mine )

1. Verify fan intake(s) and exhausts are not clogged up by dust. Most
modern PCs will turn off to protect themselves on an overheat condition.

2. Soon as you are logged in; right click on your desktop, select
properties, select screensaver, select Power and verify your power schemes
make sense.
Monitor can be set to be turned off after 1 minute, (if it is set to 1
make it 15 or 20) though mouse movment or hitting the space bar should turn
it on again.
(from activity) so I'd womder if it's #1 above.

Niether of these may be your issue; but are painless to check.
HTH, Dallas...

--
Home Page: www.geocities.com/d_overturf/index.html
Newsgroups to reply to me me via email, please fix the email address