outlook exp. problem & question

Francis Marsden

(Using WinXP home and IE6). Problem: When I open outlook express 6, I get
a password/username prompt. My username is correct in the box, and the
password is blank. The box "remember my password" is checked but shaded out.
I type in the password, and then the mail is checked successfully. But if
outlook express is then closed and re-opened, the password prompt appears
again, and the "remember my password" box is checked but shaded out, and
password is blank. I have tried going to "tools"-"accounts"-local mail
properties- "servers": the username is correct, password blank, "remember
password is checked and not shaded out. I then enter password, and mail can
be checked. But again if I close and then reopen Outlook express, the same
password prompt re-appears. Can anyone help?

Question: Is there an easy way to post to multiple newsgroups in Outlook
Express 6? (Rather than typing in each newsgroup seperately?

Thanks in advance.

Carey Frisch [MVP]

One would think that the Outlook Express newsgroup would be
the appropriate newsgroup to post to involving issues with Outlook
Express. There is absolutely no need to multi-post your question
to a wide variety of newsgroups!

Solution:

This fix applies to Outlook and other programs that store passwords
in the Protected Storage System Provider sub-branch of the Registry.
It also corrects some issues with Internet Explorer and Autocomplete.
Visit: http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_oe_passwords.htm

[Repair Courtesy of MS-MVP Doug Knox]

Your Outlook Express Password Is Not Retained in Windows 2000 or XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q264672

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect your PC!

| (Using WinXP home and IE6). Problem: When I open outlook express 6, I get
| a password/username prompt. My username is correct in the box, and the
| password is blank. The box "remember my password" is checked but shaded out.
| I type in the password, and then the mail is checked successfully. But if
| outlook express is then closed and re-opened, the password prompt appears
| again, and the "remember my password" box is checked but shaded out, and
| password is blank. I have tried going to "tools"-"accounts"-local mail
| properties- "servers": the username is correct, password blank, "remember
| password is checked and not shaded out. I then enter password, and mail can
| be checked. But again if I close and then reopen Outlook express, the same
| password prompt re-appears. Can anyone help?
|
| Question: Is there an easy way to post to multiple newsgroups in Outlook
| Express 6? (Rather than typing in each newsgroup seperately?
|
| Thanks in advance.

Wesley Vogel

OLEXP: Your Outlook Express Password Is Not Retained in Windows 2000 or XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;264672&Product=oex

From OE HELP:
newsgroup messages, posting

[[To send your message to multiple newsgroups on the same news server, in
the New Message dialog box, click the icon next to Newsgroups. In the Pick
Newsgroups dialog box, click one or more newsgroups from the list (hold down
the CTRL key to select multiple newsgroups), and then click Add. You can
choose from all newsgroups or only those you subscribe to by clicking Show
only subscribed newsgroups.

You can send a given message to more than one newsgroup at a time only if
all the newsgroups are on the same news server. To post a message to
newsgroups on other news servers, create a separate message for each news
server. ]]