Outlook 2000 deleting inbox email when email is opened.

Bob

Outlook 2000 deleting inbox email when email is opened.

I just applied the two recent Microsoft updates (Internet
Explorer(KB831167), and Outlook Express 6 (KB837009) )
to my Windows 98 system. After applying these 2 updates and rebooting I
discovered a problem.

When ever I read a new piece of email from my Outlook 2000 "input" folder,
upon opening
a window to view it the email in question is IMMEDIATELY DELETED from
the input folder.

If I first move the email message from the "input" folder to another folder
and open
it there, it is NOT deleted.

Note, this is happening for Outlook 2000 and NOT Outlook Express 6

I have verified all of the check boxes in all of the Tools/Options... and
Tools/Services/Internet emails/properties windows. Auto Archiving is turned
off,
All of the Tools/Rule Wizard rules have been turned off. This problem is
still
continuing to happen.

Does anyone have any Suggestions ?
(Please reply to the form.)

Thanks.

Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]

Check your view filters on your inbox to make sure you aren't filtering on
unread mail....

Alan Sun [MSFT]

Hello Bob,

Thanks for your posting here.

This issue is quite weird. I have performed research and don't find similar
issue. Please double check you have disabled all the rules and junk mail
filter.

Also, please perform the following steps to narrow down the issue:

Step 1: Start Outlook in Safe Mode
==============
Safe Mode will disable all add-ins and extensions that will not start, as
well as any corrupted resources, files, registries and templates.

(a) Close Outlook.
(b) Go the Start menu of the Windows. Click Start menu-> Run, type "Outlook
/Safe" (without the quotation marks and there is a space between Outlook
and /Safe) in the Open box and press Enter.

Step 2: Create a New PST File or E-mail Profile in Outlook
===============
First, please check the installation mode of Outlook 2000. Outlook 2000 has
three installation modes: Internet Mail Only (IMO), Corporate or Workgroup
(C/W) and No E-mail. To check your installation mode, please click "About
Microsoft Outlook" on the Outlook Help menu. In the About Microsoft Outlook
dialog box you can see if you have installed Outlook in "Internet Mail
Only", "Corporate or Workgroup" or "No Email" mode.

For Internet Mail Only (IMO) Mode:

Please refer to the following steps to create a new pst file in Outlook:

(a) Quit Outlook and go the Start menu of Windows.

(b) Click Start menu-> Run, type "Outlook /cleanpst" (without the quotation
marks and there is a space between Outlook and forward slash /) in the Open
box and press Enter.

We just temporarily create a new PST for Outlook 2000 IMO mode to see if
the issue is related to the corruption of the original pst file. All
Outlook information is still on your computer. Please check whether the
issue still persists in new pst file.

For Corporate or Workgroup (C/W) Mode:

Please refer to the following Microsoft Knowledge Base (KB) article to
create a new e-mail profile for Outlook and test the issue in it:

195718 OL2000: (CW) How to Create a New E-mail Profile for Outlook
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=195718

Step3: Create a new Windows account
=================
Please create a new Windows account with the administrative privilege in
Windows 2000. Start Outlook in this newly created Windows account,
configure the mail account and test the issue again.

If all the method does not help, please confirm if you are using an
Exchange mail account or Internet one and what the installation mode of
Outlook 2000 is.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any other concerns, or need
anything else.

Thanks & Regards
Alan Sun
Microsoft Online Partner Support

|From: "Bob" <[email protected]>
|Subject: Outlook 2000 deleting inbox email when email is opened.
|Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2004 21:27:09 -0400
|Newsgroups: microsoft.public.outlook.general
|
|Outlook 2000 deleting inbox email when email is opened.
|
|I just applied the two recent Microsoft updates (Internet
|Explorer(KB831167), and Outlook Express 6 (KB837009) )
|to my Windows 98 system. After applying these 2 updates and rebooting
|discovered a problem.
|
|When ever I read a new piece of email from my Outlook 2000 "input"
folder,
|upon opening
|a window to view it the email in question is IMMEDIATELY DELETED from
|the input folder.
|
|If I first move the email message from the "input" folder to another
folder
|and open
|it there, it is NOT deleted.
|
|Note, this is happening for Outlook 2000 and NOT Outlook Express 6
|
|I have verified all of the check boxes in all of the Tools/Options...
and
|Tools/Services/Internet emails/properties windows. Auto Archiving is
turned
|off,
|All of the Tools/Rule Wizard rules have been turned off. This
problem is
|still
|continuing to happen.
|
|Does anyone have any Suggestions ?
|(Please reply to the form.)
|
|Thanks.

We are experiencing similar problems as Bob, using Outlook 98, 2000, 2002, & 2003. Additionally, email is deleting (with attachments) when opening them. Cannot send email with attachments or appears temporarily as being sent, after screen refresh they disappear. Same with other Outlook items such as Calendar items. Please advise.

Alan Sun [MSFT]

Hi,

Please first perform the trouble shooting steps I have provided.

In addtion, you may look into the following articles:

299046 XADM: Calendar Items Disappear from User's Folders
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=299046

328841 XADM: Exchange and Antivirus Software
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=328841

Have a nice nice day!