opening new browser window closes old window

Hi, Ive been having this problem for two days now, whenever I open a new
window either from clicking a link or by launching a window using the IE
symbol on the toolbar, it replaces the existing window and the webpage is
lost. The back button turns grey. Ive studied all my settings, scanned with
Adaware and Spybot S+D as well as scanning with NAV 7.60.926 with latest
defs. I am using IE 6.0 2002 with SP2. Ive been reading the help files for
hours, and cant decipher some of the terminology. System Restore was turned
off somehow and I cant restore to thursday before this happened. Is there a
setting I can change to correct this problem? My ISP has a 2GB cap on
downloads, so I cant download any more freeware. Thanks...

Jan Il

Hi steponmebbbboom :)

Try the following and see if it helps:

Opening new browser window. For opening links in a new window

Tools>Internet Options>Advanced tab>uncheck 'reuse windows for launching
shortcuts'

or...

From http://www.fjsmjs.com/OE/nolinks.htm

1. Click Start, and then click Run.

2. In the Open box, type:

regsvr32 urlmon.dll

3. Click OK, and then click OK again when you receive the following message:

DllRegisterServer in urlmon.dll succeeded.

4. If that doesn't fix it, see this article:

http://www.mvps.org/inetexplorer/answers.htm#new_window

5. If you are using WinXP try this:
http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k/reg/IE_Default_Browser.reg

You can also try this:

Go to Start/run, and type SFC (msconfig for WinXP).
Choose 'Extract One File From Installation Disk' ("Expand File" for WinXP).
Type oleaut32.dll, not worrying about its location. Then, click Start.

Next to 'Restore From', type in or browse for the file's location, which is
probably in the Win98 (i386 for WinXP) folder of your installation CD-ROM
(typically D:\Win98), or in your Windows\Options\Cabs (Windows\i386 for
WinXP) folder, as the case may be.

Then, next to 'Save File In', enter C:\Windows\System (C:\Windows\System32
for WinXP), and click OK. System File Checker (or msconfig) looks for the
file, saves it as you requested, and then tells you that 'the file has been
successfully extracted'.

You may need to reboot

also..

Open in new window doesn't work
http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/answers.htm#new_window

Hope this helps :)

Jan :)
Smiles are meant to be shared,
that's why they're so contagious.

Replies are posted only to the newsgroup for the benefit or other readers.
How to make a good newsgroup post:
http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

Thanks for the reply Jan! I tried all your suggestions that didn't involve
the installation CD, which is at another house right now. Nothing worked. I
should clarify that the "Open in New Window" function does work, but it
closes the old window. If you click the "launch browser" button on the
toolbar repeatedly, sometimes multiple windows do open, but they disappear as
soon as you click on a link designed to open a new window. Thanks again :)

Don Varnau

Hi,
Do you have have a program running which is blocking pop-up windows?
Something like Yahoo Companion, Google toolbar, MSN toolbar, Earthlink (or
another pop-up blocker) My IE2 (a shell for IE) etc?
Yahoo Companion is a very common cause.

You'll have to turn off the feature that's blocking new windows or, perhaps,
uninstall the program.

http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k/IEFAQ.htm Tips #21 & 46
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=281679
http://www.fjsmjs.com/OE/nolinks.htm
http://www.mvps.org/inetexplorer/answers2.htm#hyperlinks
http://www.mvps.org/inetexplorer/answers.htm#new_window

Don
[MVP IE/OE]

"steponmebbbboom" wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

YOU GUYS ARE GENIUS' !!!!

I've been working for about 3 days now to fix this. I uninstalled all the
extra Yahoo "things" and it worked!!!!

I could kiss you guys!!!! xoxoxo Karen

Jan Il

Hi steponmebbbboom :)
I looked further on your reference
(http://www.mvps.org/inetexplorer/answers.htm#new_window) and read a
mention
of Yahoo! utilities possibly interfering with browser windows. I removed
all
their utilities, rebooted, and the symptoms disappeared. I can now open
and
browse multiple windows again. I have learned my lesson thanks to you!

You're very welcome! Glad to hear you were able to resolve your problem.
Good job!

Thank you for posting back and letting us know what worked for you, and for
the benefit of other readers who might have a similar problem. :)

Jan :)
Smiles are meant to be shared,
that's why they're so contagious.

Jan Il

Hi Karen :)
YOU GUYS ARE GENIUS' !!!!

I've been working for about 3 days now to fix this. I uninstalled all the
extra Yahoo "things" and it worked!!!!

I could kiss you guys!!!! xoxoxo Karen

You're very welcome! Glad the information also helped resolve your problem.

Thank you for posting to let us know what worked for you, and for