Opening in New Window

  • Start date Start date

Recently internet explorer 6 has stopped opening hyperlinks in a new window.
The original web page goes blank and then returns to the original web page
after about 30 seconds. I have recently started using broadband if this
makes any difference although I have gone back to my dail up and checked that
the problem still occurs and it does!!! What settings do I need to change so
I can view all the web sites again?
Thanks

Hi,
Some possibilities:

From IE> Tools> Internet Options> Advanced> Browsing> uncheck "Reuse windows
for launching shortcuts."

And... you may have a program running which is blocking pop-up windows-
something like Yahoo Companion, Google toolbar, MSN toolbar, Earthlink (or
another pop-up blocker) My IE2 (a shell for IE) etc.
Yahoo Companion is a very common cause.

You'll have to turn off the feature that's blocking new windows or, perhaps,
uninstall the program.

With some programs of this type, using Ctrl+click or Shift+click will allow
a new window.

If you're sure that another program isn't causing this, these links should
help.
http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k/IEFAQ.htm Tips #21 & 46
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=281679
http://www.fjsmjs.com/OE/nolinks.htm
http://www.mvps.org/inetexplorer/answers2.htm#hyperlinks
http://www.mvps.org/inetexplorer/answers.htm#new_window

Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE/OE]

"purakanui" wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

Hi purakanui :-)

Try the following and see if it helps:

To open Links in a new browser window
Tools>Internet Options>Advanced tab>uncheck 'reuse windows for launching
shortcuts'

also..

Yahoo installations have been known to cause this problem. If you have Yahoo
toolbar disable it, or if you have Yahoo Companion, uninstall it. See here:
http://www.mvps.org/inetexplorer/answers.htm#new_window

If you have any popup blocker programs, disable them and try again.

Nothing happens when I click a link in IE

Go to Start>Run> and register the following dll's by using
regsvr32 command. Try the first 2, then see if it resolves the problem. If
not then register the rest of the .dll's:

regsvr32 urlmon.dll?
regsvr32 actxprxy.dll
regsvr32 scrrun.dll?
regsvr32 msxml.dll?
regsvr32 mshtml.dll?
regsvr32 shdocvw.dll?
regsvr32 browseui.dll
regsvr32 msjava.dll?

If that doesn't work, then check out the following article and do the
additional steps outlined there:

You Cannot Open New Internet Explorer Window or Nothing Happens After You
Click a Link
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q281679

Hope this helps :-)

Jan :)
Smiles are meant to be shared,
that's why they're so contagious.

Replies are posted only to the newsgroup for the benefit or other readers.
How to make a good newsgroup post:
http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"> Recently internet explorer 6 has stopped opening hyperlinks in a new
window.

Back
Top