OleDbDataReader Question

  • Start date Start date

Buddy

Hello,

How do I get the number of row retrieved on a SELECT
query when using OleDbDataReader?

I am using Framework 1.0.

Hello,

I was orginally using the OleDbDataAdapter and then using
the Fill method which provided me with the row count. The
problem is that the DataSet uses DataTable underneath the
cover which is not a lightweight object, we have a
performance issue which is that the GC is constantly been
run due to the Fill command (main cause is the dataset).
We want to use the OleDbDataReader which is light weight
but the only thing we cannot get out of it is the number
of rows. I've noticed through the watch window it holds
the number of rows in a variable called
rowhandleNumberRows but due to it protection level it
cannot be access, this to be means a floor with Microsoft
as they already know the number of rows.

use scalar to retreive count
Buddy said:
Hello,

I was orginally using the OleDbDataAdapter and then using
the Fill method which provided me with the row count. The
problem is that the DataSet uses DataTable underneath the
cover which is not a lightweight object, we have a
performance issue which is that the GC is constantly been
run due to the Fill command (main cause is the dataset).
We want to use the OleDbDataReader which is light weight
but the only thing we cannot get out of it is the number
of rows. I've noticed through the watch window it holds
the number of rows in a variable called
rowhandleNumberRows but due to it protection level it
cannot be access, this to be means a floor with Microsoft
as they already know the number of rows.

Hi Budy,

You can visit the link below to get some help:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308352
If you still have any concerns, please feel free to let me know.

Jeffrey Tan
Microsoft Online Partner Support

| From: "Buddy" <[email protected]>
| Sender: "Buddy" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Re: OleDbDataReader Question
| Date: Sat, 16 Aug 2003 23:39:00 -0700
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.languages.csharp
|
| I cannot use the ExecuteScalar method for two reasons,
| one that I need all the data back, and second that I
| cannot run the query twice as there are possible INSERT,
| UPDATE, DELETE queries taking place.
|
| Any other ideas?

Back
Top