Offline files ... hell or heaven?

  • Start date Start date

Simon B

hi,

how can I force Offline files in XP (both client and server) to
automatically synchronise all files within a share when syncing?

Problem I've got is:
a) notebook user
b) user is at a remote site, and only in the remote site once or twise a
week
c) only accessed files (and files when initial sync was performed) are
syncing...

What I'd really (really really really) like to happen is:
When the user syncs, ALL files (whether new, old, accessed, non-accessed or
otherwise) are synced...

Is this possible with XP? Is this possible with a 3rd party application?

Simon

I'm not sure if this will help, but have you tried the Sharing Folders
feature in Windows Live Messenger?

hi,

how can I force Offline files in XP (both client and server) to
automatically synchronise all files within a share when syncing?

Problem I've got is:
a) notebook user
b) user is at a remote site, and only in the remote site once or twise a
week
c) only accessed files (and files when initial sync was performed) are
syncing...

What I'd really (really really really) like to happen is:
When the user syncs, ALL files (whether new, old, accessed, non-accessed or
otherwise) are synced...

Is this possible with XP? Is this possible with a 3rd party application?

Simon

Someone else may have some practical advice for you. Have not tried Offline
Files so simply looked it up in Help and Support.

Paraphrasing from "set up your computer to use offline files" in "Help and
Support:"
==========
Folder Options> Tools> Offline Files: make sure that the Enable Offline
Files check box is selected. Also select "Synchronize all offline files
before logging off" to get a full synchronization. If this box is not
checked, a quick synchronization takes place instead of full. Quick
synchronization ensures that you have complete versions of your offline
files, although they may not be the most current versions.
===========
Don't know if that will help or not. Also, if I'm understanding other
information in Help and Support correctly, it's also possible to use the
Synchronization Manager to force full synchronization whenever the network
resources are available.

You may want to type "offline files" into Help and Support and take a look
at the articles. H&S is especially useful if you configure it to also
search for related MS Knowledge Base articles. My search turned up some
basic "how-to" articles and a handful of troubleshooting articles. There
are also some that discuss offline files when using roaming profiles
(http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=287566) and another that discusses
re-initializing the offline files cache and database
(http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=230738). Both looked like they could be
useful to the situation your dealing with.

Look at these two to see if they can serve your need: 1. SyncToy, free from
Microsoft:
2 SyncBack (free) or SyncBack SE (shareware) from here:
http://www.2brightsparks.com/downloads.html#freeware.
Gene K
"Simon B" <s b u t l e r AT wideband.net.au> wrote in message
| hi,
|
| how can I force Offline files in XP (both client and server) to
| automatically synchronise all files within a share when syncing?
|
| Problem I've got is:
| a) notebook user
| b) user is at a remote site, and only in the remote site once or twise a
| week
| c) only accessed files (and files when initial sync was performed) are
| syncing...
|
| What I'd really (really really really) like to happen is:
| When the user syncs, ALL files (whether new, old, accessed, non-accessed
or
| otherwise) are synced...
|
| Is this possible with XP? Is this possible with a 3rd party application?
|
| Simon

Back
Top