Off-line files

Darrell Haslam

When using off-line files in Windows 2000, the system works in "off-line"
mode until all files have successfully been synchronised. If any problems
occur in the synchronisation process, the client continues to work in
"off-line" mode after establishing a RAS connection to the central office.
None of the network shares on the server are then accessible unless the user
ticks the box stating "work on-line without synchronising changes" or
resolves the reason for the synchronisation failure. This causes great
confusion for my users. Is there a group policy (or other) setting so that
the users always connects in "on-line" mode if there is a problem with the
synchronisation process. Ideally, I would want the system to try and perform
off-line folder synchronisation each time the user connects BUT to work in
on-line mode after synchronisation, regardless of whether synchronisation
was successful. i.e. they should be able to access all network shares
(subject to ACLs) when they connect to a server using a dial-up network
connection whether or not off-line synchronisation was successful.

Alex Zhang

Hello Darrell,

Thank you for posting here.

I understand that you want to know if there is a group policy could make
the users remain in "on-line" mode when the synchronization process
encounters errors.

Unfortunately there is not such a feature in Windows and I did not find a
policy could do this.

In addition, you are welcome to send suggestions for product enhancements
that you would like to see in future versions of Microsoft products to us
by submitting MS Wish. To send a comment or suggestion via the Web, use one
of the following methods:

1. In Internet Explorer 6, click Send Feedback on the Help menu and then
click the link in the Product Suggestion section of the page that appears.
2. In Windows XP, click Help and Support on the Start menu. Click Send your
feedback to Microsoft, and then fill out the Product Suggestion page that
appears.

I hope this information proves helpful to you.
If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to let me
know. I am happy to be of assistance.
Thanks and regards,
Alex Zhang
Microsoft Partner Online Support