NTFS Folder perm!!

  • Start date Start date

likarok

I have 2 HD w/ 7 partitions (not volumes). 1 of the
partitions does not have an OS, it's only used to store
data. On that partition I have a "special folder". I
created a user in W2K Pro, and gave him administrative
rights to that folder. I removed everyone access, as well
as take ownership to that folder including the
administrators group/user. The administrator can view,
and only view the permissions, but does not have any
access to the folder including take ownership.

It worked fine until I had to format the partition with
W2K (OS) on it. (not thinking it would get rid of
the "special user")...yeah I know... I since re-installed
W2K pro, but I cannot access, delete, take ownership
ect... the folder (the partition and other folders are not
a problem). I can see the owner and it's the SID of
the "special user" from the old 2K installation. I cannot
add new users to the folder, nor can I take ownership. I
created another user with the same name, however the SID
of that user does not match the SID of the old user, I've
tried swapping SIDs in the registry and it don't
work......any suggestions, anything helps...

Remy Daigle, CCNA, MCSA, A+

I understand ....you denied access to everyone and granted access to one
individual. However, deny everyone takes precedent.
If you cannot take ownership of this directory logged on as the
administrator, there may not be an option other than deleting the partition
because you cannot delete the folder either.
This may help.
o Modify Special Permissions
-----------------------------

If you need finer control over permissions, you can modify special
permissions. In this example, assume that you have shared a folder and have
granted access to groups A and B. However, you do not want group A to
create folders in the shared folder. You can deny the special Create
Folders/Append Data permission to the Write permissions for group A. To
modify special permissions:

1. Click Start, point to Programs, point to Accessories, click Windows
Explorer, and then locate the file or folder for which you want to set
permissions.

2. Right-click the file or folder, click Properties, and then click the
Security tab.

3. Click Advanced, and then use one of the following steps:

- To set special permissions for a new group or user, click Add. In the
Name box, type the name of the user or group by using the
<domainname>\<name> format. When you are finished, click OK to
automatically open the Permission Entry dialog box.

- To view or change special permissions for an existing group or user,
click the name of the group or user, and then click View/Edit.

- To remove a group or user and its special permissions, click the name of
the group or user, and then click Remove. If the Remove button is
unavailable, click to clear the "Allow inheritable permissions" check box.
The file or folder will no longer inherit permissions. Skip steps 4 through
6.

4. In the Permission Entry dialog box, click where you want the
permissions applied in "Apply onto", if necessary. Note that Apply onto
is available only for folders.

5. In Permissions, click Allow or Deny for each permission.

6. If you want the subfolders and files in the tree to inherit these
permissions, click to select the "Apply these permissions" check box.

If the check boxes under "Permissions" are unavailable, or if the Remove
button is unavailable, the file or folder has inherited permissions from
the parent folder.

Click on the Owner Tab in Advanced and see if you can change the owner.
Joe Griffin [MS]

From: "likarok" <[email protected]>
Sender: "likarok" <[email protected]>
Subject: NTFS Folder perm!!
Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2004 09:54:11 -0800
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.file_system

[...]

thanks for your suggestion..

after rechecking my documentation for my old LAN setup.
No one was denied, but everyone was removed and special
permissions were put in placed. The administrator (not
the group) was left read only access to the folder...

thanks again...

From: "likarok" <[email protected]>
Sender: "likarok" <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2004 09:54:11 -0800

[...]