Nothing works SCRIPT OUT OF RANGE????

  • Start date Start date

I was improving my application to add pull down lists of information adding
new tables of information to draw from now no macros work on my form, no exit
available and when prompted to save it will not. I have to go into the task
manager to get out of Access all together, and no changes have been made. I
keep getting the error "SCRIPT OUT OF RANGE" and cannot view VB Code. Help
me please! I do not understand what I could have possible done that would
have caused this. I was not even in the VB section all the changes I was
making were very routine.

Steve

This message indicates something is not registered correctly, or users don't
have permission to get at something.

Reinsalling Office will probably work, or you may be able to solve it from
one of these articles:
ACC97: Error Messages Running Database Documenter or Table Analyzer
at:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;164240

ACC2000: Resetting Code in Visual Basic Editor Causes Problems with
Wizards
at:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;223229

--
Allen Browne - Microsoft MVP. Perth, Western Australia.

"Steve Murphy (Kuwait in Army**US)"

No help, unless I am restarting the wizard incorrectly. How exactly do I go
about restarting the wizard? I cannot even make a MDE file, or use any of the
Buttons, not even the quite program button.

Steve

It may or maynot be significant, but when I use the shortcut "alt-f11" to
step into VB to view the code of the form I am haveing trouble with it is no
longer in the list???
Steve

Try opening Northwind. Does this work?

If not, do you have any add-ins such as mztools? We had problems with
add-ins killing our VBA. Happened after installing some .NET dev tools.

If it works in Northwind fine but not in your database, the mdb may be
corrupt. Decompile a copy of the database by entering something like this at
the command prompt while Access is not running. It is all one line, and
include the quotes:
"c:\Program Files\Microsoft office\office\msaccess.exe" /decompile
"c:\MyPath\MyDatabase.mdb"

--
Allen Browne - Microsoft MVP. Perth, Western Australia.

"Steve Murphy (Kuwait in Army**US)"

I just tried it on another unrelated Access App, I had no problems, saving,
adding buttuns, etc. I seams to be localized to the other application.
What will decompiling it do to it, destroy it?
Steve

You certainly want to make a backup first, but decompiling solves a
particular kind of corruption.

The mdb file contains two copies of your code:
- the text version (what you see and edit), and
- the compiled version (binary that actually runs).
If these two are not consistent, it represents a corruption. Decompiling the
mdb instructs Access to discard the compiled version. It will then recreate
the compiled version from the text version, so the inconsistency is gone.

Chances are that a decompile (followed by a compact) will fix the problem.
If not, there are two more ways of recovering the file. One is to get Access
to rebuild the file for you, as described for the first symptom in this
article:
Recovering from Corruption
at:
http://members.iinet.net.au/~allenbrowne/ser-47.html
Note that this article is not a substitute for a decompile, i.e. you need to
try the decompile first.

The other method is the undocumented SaveAsText to export the faulty form as
a text file, e.g.:
SaveAsText acForm, "Form1", "C:\Form1.txt"
Then you can try importing that into another database with:
LoadFromText acForm, "Form1", "C:\Form1.txt"

--
Allen Browne - Microsoft MVP. Perth, Western Australia.

"Steve Murphy (Kuwait in Army**US)"
<[email protected]>
wrote in message

Decompiling it did not work. Still the same symptons, no buttons work, can't
save, cannot quit the app without going through the task manager. Any more
ideas?
Steve

Alen guess what? The two articles you sent for me to read the Air Force has
blocked so I cannot read them, sucks I know. Can you email them to me at
(e-mail address removed) I would appreciate it, they are pretty
stricked down here in the big sandbox.

Steve

Back
Top