No host files

I have been having trouble accessing certain websites that I have visited for 4/5 years. When I get the Page CAnnot Be...... and I right click there is something in the URL that contains SHDOCLC.dll so I went looking for info on that. I discovered this host file business that way and went looking for them via Start,Find,Folders/Files,and typed in host.* and came up empty except for the sample host file --- does this sound right?? Thank you

Willie Lai [MSFT]

Hey Karen,

Yes, that sounds like the host file. You don't want to play with that file
unless you really know what you're doing. It controls the mapping of IP
addresses to host names like the sample says so unless you need to declare
something in there, I'd leave the file alone.

The 'page cannot be found' error happens all too often and usually doesn't
even have anything to do with your machine. It's most likely a server or
connection problem. If you can't get to any sites, that's when I'd start
getting worried.

thanks,
will

karen said:
I have been having trouble accessing certain websites that I have visited
for 4/5 years. When I get the Page CAnnot Be...... and I right click there
is something in the URL that contains SHDOCLC.dll so I went looking for info
on that. I discovered this host file business that way and went looking for
them via Start,Find,Folders/Files,and typed in host.* and came up empty
except for the sample host file --- does this sound right?? Thank you

DVarnau

Karen,
Searching for "host.*" probably won't find your HOSTS file. Try searching
for "hosts"
But... you may not have one. Not every system does.

Have you tried clearing the cache and history from IE> Tools> Internet
Options> General... Delete files and Delete offline content and Clear
History?

Don
--
Newsgroup replies preferred, but e-mail address is...
don_04[at]varnau[dot]org

karen said:
I have been having trouble accessing certain websites that I have visited
for 4/5 years. When I get the Page CAnnot Be...... and I right click there
is something in the URL that contains SHDOCLC.dll so I went looking for info
on that. I discovered this host file business that way and went looking for
them via Start,Find,Folders/Files,and typed in host.* and came up empty
except for the sample host file --- does this sound right?? Thank you

H Leboeuf

What is the exact error message with shdoclc.dll
http://www.generation.net/~hleboeuf/shdoclc.htm

You may have some parasites to deal with.
Dealing with Unwanted Spyware, Parasites, Toolbars and Search Engines
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm