No "Common tasks" in classic style (attn to MVP)

  • Start date Start date

SeNS

Hello, All!

I have a small trouble with "Common tasks" explorer pane. Windows XP pro was
installed over Windows 2000 Pro. Possible I did some registry tweaks with
"common tasks" view (can't remember) in Win2000. Now I tryed to get it back
but no success :-(

The "Common tasks" disappear only in "Windows classic style" theme
(unfortunatelly my favorite) and works well in usual "Windows XP" theme.

I did all tricks described at Kellys web site http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp.htm
but still no luck.

Could someone help me or give some advise for workaround?

Thanks!

WBR, SeNS

To display links to common tasks in folders:

-- Open Folder Options in Control Panel:
-- Click Start, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel.
-- Double-click Folder Options
-- On the General tab, under Tasks, click Show common tasks in folders.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"SeNS" wrote:

| Hello, All!
|
| I have a small trouble with "Common tasks" explorer pane. Windows XP pro was
| installed over Windows 2000 Pro. Possible I did some registry tweaks with
| "common tasks" view (can't remember) in Win2000. Now I tryed to get it back
| but no success :-(
|
| The "Common tasks" disappear only in "Windows classic style" theme
| (unfortunatelly my favorite) and works well in usual "Windows XP" theme.
|
| I did all tricks described at Kellys web site http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp.htm
| but still no luck.
|
| Could someone help me or give some advise for workaround?
|
| Thanks!
|
| WBR, SeNS

Hello, David!
You wrote on Tue, 31 Jan 2006 03:51:07 +1100:

I'm so sorry guys but seems you a little bit misunderstand me. I did all
_known_ tricks (as I said in first post) and first of em (sure!) was "Show
common tasks in folder" (I'm not MVP but can read the manual :-) )

2 David: you not right, it's possible (my systers PC show common tasks in
classic style)

2 Carey: which dll responsible for "Common tasks" pane? And which registry
settings affects on this pane (or dll) ?

WBR, SeNS

No I am right and you are wrong. Classic mode is essentially no common tasks (and thumbnails). So if you can do it you are not in classic mode.

Lets go through this pathetic post,

1. All known tricks. What tricks. So you are just here to ask for things you have already tried. Do you get a kick out of wastings others time.

2. You are just wrong. PS WebView is old name for Common Tasks. From Help on Group Policy settings
ClassicShell_Help="This setting allows you to remove the Active Desktop and Web view features. If you enable this setting, it will disable the Active Desktop and Web view. Also, users cannot configure their system to open items by single-clicking (such as in Mouse in Control Panel). As a result, the user interface looks and operates like the interface for Windows NT 4.0, and users cannot restore the new features.\n\nNote: This setting takes precedence over the "Enable Active Desktop" setting. If both policies are enabled, Active Desktop is disabled.\n\nAlso, see the "Disable Active Desktop" setting in User Configuration\Administrative Templates\Desktop\Active Desktop and the "Remove the Folder Options menu item from the Tools menu" setting in User Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Windows Explorer."

Hi SeNS,

I'm not a Windows guru but I experimented a little. First I changed the
Windows theme setting to Windows classic. After doing that I got results
similar to the picture you referenced elsewhere in this thread. However, in
poking around in the Explorer Tools > Folder Options dialog, on the General
tab I changed to "Use Windows classic folders" in the Tasks section. That
removed the "common tasks" panel on the left side of the window. See if
changing that setting that helps you.

Hello, Cindy!
You wrote on Mon, 30 Jan 2006 17:16:20 -0500:

CW> That removed the "common tasks" panel on the left side of the window.
CW> See if changing that setting that helps you.

Cindy, thanks for trying to help but my problem is: Explorer -> Tools ->
Folder Options -> Tasks radiobox does NOT change anything. I'm not able to
see "common tasks" in "classic style" on my PC (but in "XP style" this
radiobox works well).

Also: some registry hacks (group policy records, undefinded records what I
found on some MVP's sites) not help me.

WBR, SeNS

You know better then, funny how you are in Classic which whole purpose is to turn off Common Tasks. You don't even believe Help. You are an idiot.

Hello, David!
You wrote on Tue, 31 Jan 2006 11:42:34 +1100:

DC> You know better then, funny how you are in Classic which whole purpose
DC> is to turn off Common Tasks. You don't even believe Help. You are an
DC> idiot.

And you just a stupid troll with lot of useless morons posts...

WBR, SeNS

Do you have the following file on your computer?

"C:\WINDOWS\system32\shellstyle.dll"

I had a helluva time deleting it (after backing it up), but once I did, I got the symptoms you
describe exactly: No common tasks & the radiobutton is functional, but has no effect.

If you have the file, it may be corrupt. You might try the System File Checker (sfc /scannow) --
you'll need your windows disk.

Hello, Keith!
You wrote on Mon, 30 Jan 2006 23:54:26 -0600:

Thanks a LOT, Keith, that's it!

I replaced dll (I think old one, from Win2000 times) to correct one and now
everithing fine! Also I'm able to choose what kind of common tasks I wanna
see in my system tasks (I mean some different files from different windows
themes)

MVP rules! :-)

WBR, SeNS

KMM> Do you have the following file on your computer?

KMM> "C:\WINDOWS\system32\shellstyle.dll"

KMM> I had a helluva time deleting it (after backing it up), but once I
KMM> did, I got the symptoms you describe exactly: No common tasks & the
KMM> radiobutton is functional, but has no effect.

KMM> If you have the file, it may be corrupt. You might try the System
KMM> File Checker (sfc /scannow) -- you'll need your windows disk.

KMM> --
KMM> Good Luck,

KMM> Keith
KMM> Microsoft MVP [Windows XP Shell/User]

You're welcome, glad it's fixed.

--
Good Luck,

Keith

SeNS said:
Hello, Keith!
You wrote on Mon, 30 Jan 2006 23:54:26 -0600:

Thanks a LOT, Keith, that's it!

I replaced dll (I think old one, from Win2000 times) to correct one and now
everithing fine! Also I'm able to choose what kind of common tasks I wanna
see in my system tasks (I mean some different files from different windows
themes)

MVP rules! :-)

WBR, SeNS

KMM> Do you have the following file on your computer?

KMM> "C:\WINDOWS\system32\shellstyle.dll"

KMM> I had a helluva time deleting it (after backing it up), but once I
KMM> did, I got the symptoms you describe exactly: No common tasks & the
KMM> radiobutton is functional, but has no effect.

KMM> If you have the file, it may be corrupt. You might try the System
KMM> File Checker (sfc /scannow) -- you'll need your windows disk.

KMM> --
KMM> Good Luck,

KMM> Keith
KMM> Microsoft MVP [Windows XP Shell/User]