NNTP microsoft.public.test

  • Start date Start date

~BD~

In the newsgroup - microsoft.public.test - there is a series of posts
entitled 'ClusterSentinelNNTPPostTest'

Here is one example:-

NNTP microsoft.public.test - Post356d491b-a569-419f-be55-d09302bfd084

Each message has a different series of numerals and letters

The poster (From) is always user@domain

There are literally hundreds of entries, with each post being one/two
minutes apart.

There may well be a simple explanation - I'm simply interested to learn if
anyone here knows *why* the test messages are being sent.

Perhaps there is somewhere more appropriate that I should enquire. If so,
I'd be grateful if you'd point me in the right direction.

Thanks

Dave

From: "~BD~" <[email protected]>

| In the newsgroup - microsoft.public.test - there is a series of posts
| entitled 'ClusterSentinelNNTPPostTest'

| Here is one example:-

| NNTP microsoft.public.test - Post356d491b-a569-419f-be55-d09302bfd084

| Each message has a different series of numerals and letters

| The poster (From) is always user@domain

| There are literally hundreds of entries, with each post being one/two
| minutes apart.

| There may well be a simple explanation - I'm simply interested to learn if
| anyone here knows *why* the test messages are being sent.

| Perhaps there is somewhere more appropriate that I should enquire. If so,
| I'd be grateful if you'd point me in the right direction.

| Thanks

| Dave

You were already told "This is a test group. The content is inconsequential and the
poster is irrelevant."

Now drop it !

From: "~BD~" <[email protected]>

| In the newsgroup - microsoft.public.test - there is a series of posts
| entitled 'ClusterSentinelNNTPPostTest'

| Here is one example:-

| NNTP microsoft.public.test - Post356d491b-a569-419f-be55-d09302bfd084

| Each message has a different series of numerals and letters

| The poster (From) is always user@domain

| There are literally hundreds of entries, with each post being one/two
| minutes apart.

| There may well be a simple explanation - I'm simply interested to learn if
| anyone here knows *why* the test messages are being sent.

| Perhaps there is somewhere more appropriate that I should enquire. If so,
| I'd be grateful if you'd point me in the right direction.

| Thanks

| Dave

You were already told "This is a test group. The content is inconsequential and the
poster is irrelevant."

Now drop it !

Are you are too embarrassed to admit that you don't know the answer?

Don't be. Only Bill Castner knows the answer to everything! <wink>

Dave

From: "~BD~" <[email protected]>

| Are you are too embarrassed to admit that you don't know the answer?

| Don't be. Only Bill Castner knows the answer to everything! <wink>

| Dave

First off the post is Off Topic for this news group.

Secondly it is all irrelevant !

Now drop it!

From: "~BD~" <[email protected]>

| Are you are too embarrassed to admit that you don't know the answer?

| Don't be. Only Bill Castner knows the answer to everything! <wink>

| Dave

First off the post is Off Topic for this news group.

Secondly it is all irrelevant !

Now drop it!

OK

Salvation. Microsoft (?) have provided an alternative:-
microsoft.public.test.here

For the first time, Annexcafe has been mentioned here.

Ooops!

It means some boob screwed up the configuration of some software that is
spewing out repeated useless posts and flooding the test group with tons
of tiny posts.  They are posting at a rate of every 30 seconds, or less,
some down to just 10 seconds.  This makes using the test group difficult
for anyone else as they will have to scroll through all these garbage
posts trying to find their own test post (or use a search function to
find their own test post).

From a couple of those posts:

From: user@domain
Subject: ClusterSentinelNNTPPostTest
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.test

If you don't like it, you could report the abuse to their ISP; however,
207.46.197.57 is leased to Microsoft, so it is Microsoft's screwup.

The test group is not a dumping ground for someone's program to spew
useless repetitive test messages every 10 seconds.  They obviously
aren't going to be reading all those test posts so they shouldn't be
wasting resources to handle them.  Some Microsoft boob is posting into
Microsoft's test group using Microsoft's NNTP server.  If Microsoft
wants to monitor the availability of their hosts then they should be
posting these "I'm alive" messages into a private NNTP host.  For now,
if you want to post test messages and not have to wade through this
stupidity, you'll have to use some other test group.

Read:

http://technet2.microsoft.com/windowsserver/en/library/af46359f-3712-...
"Cluster Monitoring"

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/archive/itsolutions/ecommerce/suppor...
"ClusterSentinel. An application-layer monitoring system that integrates
with the Network Load Balancing (NLB) clustering technology, previously
known as WLBS. ClusterSentinel monitors the health of servers and uses
the testing results to determine if the server is available."

Thanks VanguardLH

I'm wondering just why I don't see your post when viewing with Outlook
Express.

Dave

Back
Top