Newsgroup access problems!

  • Start date Start date

GaryS

I am having two problems, both having to do with access
(not MS Access) to this newsgroup.

1. Gap in threads using web access to Newsgroup

I'm showing no threads between 9pm the 15th and 9AM the
16th. I'm interested because I posted some questions in
that time period!

So it was suggested I go in through Outlook Express. When
I set that up, I get . . .

2. 430 You are not authorized to use this protocol

Configuration:
Account: msnews.microsoft.com
Server: msnews.microsoft.com
Protocol: NNTP
Port: 119
Secure(SSL): 0
Error Number: 430
Code: 800ccca0

Two of us have googled this error text in 28 ways from
Sunday and have gotten no hits.

My OE works fine for email accounts.

Anyone have any ideas about either one of these problems?

Thanks much!

Gary

Microsoft recently changed the Web interface to
newsgroups, for example, the sender's e-mail address is
default to "anonymous". For what the newsgroups have been
through recently, it is worth the changes. Hopefully, all
will be fixed shortly.

Regarding access to the news-server, it is working fine at
preent. If you are trying to connect through the LAN
network, it is possible that access to the news-servers is
blocked by your network people using a firewall or
something similar.

HTH
Van T. Dinh
MVP (Access)

Hey, Van, great thought! Thanks to a suggestion from Dirk
Goldgar, I was able to access the newsgroup via
groups.google.com and catch up with things.

But the firewall idea is worth checking into. I AM
my "network people"--ha ha--and we are using WinProxy as
the gateway/firewall to the internet for our LAN. Could
be that there's a setting in there whose value is blocking
Port 119.

Gary

OK, I'm writing this message via access to the usegroup from Outlook
Express! Our home office computers are part of a LAN, with a host computer
on the LAN acting as the gateway to the Internet. The software is WinProxy.
There were two settings which had to be changed, one on the clients on the
LAN and one on the host.

Thanks again for the idea.

Gary

Back