neighbours pop ups in millenium

  • Start date Start date

jw 1111

hi, my elderly neighbour's pc is now plagued with 'pop up' advertisements.

I said I would try to help him remove them, although I am rather a dim
novice.

he has windows millenium. could anyone please give a few pointers on how to
help him out please. many thanks

jw said:
hi, my elderly neighbour's pc is now plagued with 'pop up' advertisements.

I said I would try to help him remove them, although I am rather a dim
novice.

he has windows millenium. could anyone please give a few pointers on how to
help him out please. many thanks

Your first priority is to install a GOOD firewall.

Unk said:

thanks to all. he does now have a firewall, but i think he downloaded some
silly email icons that probably opened the floodgates. with regards to the
above downloads i wonder if you would kindly pick out just a couple in the
best order to use them.

since i feel overwhelmed with choice here and dont have the time to go
through them all on his pc. many thanks for your kind help. john
west

Newsgroup: 24hoursupport.helpdesk removed

Hi,
Best place to start (for a dim novice) <G>
Aumha.org- The Parasite Fight - Quick Fix Protocol:
http://www.aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm

Other useful sites:
Dealing with Unwanted Spyware and Parasites:
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
The Parasite Fight http://www.aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
Malware Removal and Prevention Overview - CastleCopsWiki:
http://wiki.castlecops.com/Malware_Removal_and_Prevention:_Overview
Bugs, Glitches & Stuffups: http://www.mvps.org/inetexplorer/Darnit.html
Removing Malware:
What you can do about spyware and other unwanted software:
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/spywarewhat.mspx

Don
[MS MVP- IE]

thanks to all. he does now have a firewall, but i think he
downloaded some silly email icons that probably opened the
floodgates. with regards to the above downloads i wonder if
you would kindly pick out just a couple in the best order to
use them.

since i feel overwhelmed with choice here and dont have the
time to go through them all on his pc. many thanks for your
kind help. john west

Ad-Aware
Spybot - Search & Destroy by Patrick Kolla
Spyware Blaster

In addition to the other excellent suggestions, set up your HOSTS file.

Spybot Search & Destroy has a bunch of listings that you can enable.
Also, check this site for additional listings.
http://www.everythingisnt.com/hosts.html

More info
http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

http://someonewhocares.org/hosts/

http://accs-net.com/hosts/what_is_hosts.html

:
:

Nothing better to do today than appoint yourself a net-nanny?

| |
| > The page below details several fine products that will assist
| > you. http://www.broomeman.com/spyware/
| >
| > I personally use Ad-Aware and SpySweeper.
|
| Thank you for top posting

Back
Top