Multiple Installations from the Same PC

  • Start date Start date

Bill Gates

Hello All,

I was hoping that someone out there could help me with my problem.

I have written an application that will be getting installed on multiple Pocket PC devices. However all of these device will want to be installed from the same Desktop PC.

I have created a MSI installation package to make the installation process a simple point and click activity however my problem lies in installing the application on multiple PocketPC's (Check out http://www.codeproject.com/netcf/packaginganddeployingPPC.asp)

Once you have installed the application once you get an entry in the 'Add/Remove Programs' on the Desktop PC and you are forced by the installer to uninstall the application from the Desktop PC before a further install of the software can take place on another Pocket PC device.

I would like to know how to install the application on multiple Pocket PC devices without a reference being made to the installation on the Desktop PC.

Any Help is appreciated.

Bill

You don't have to "uninstall and reinstall". From the PC ActiveSync window simply choose Tools->Add/Remove programs when the new PPC is connected.

For this, however, I'd write an installer app that uses RAPI and installs the files automagically when devices are connected. You can autorun when the device is connected, then push down and expand CABs or individual files, register COM dlls or whatever.

-Chris

[...]

Thanks for the reply, I didn't realise you could do that with Activesync.

solved my problem, thanks

"<ctacke/>" <ctacke_AT_OpenNETCF_com> wrote in message You don't have to "uninstall and reinstall". From the PC ActiveSync window simply choose Tools->Add/Remove programs when the new PPC is connected.

[...]

Doesn't using Active Sync require setting up a partnership?
It is not necessary to use ActiveSync to install a program.
You can install a cab file without using ActiveSync.
--
Ron Sommer
[...]

No, you can set up the "GuestOnly" reg key and connect any device as a Guest.

--
Chris Tacke
Co-founder

[...]

If the only reason for connecting is so a RAPI app can run, users can
completely ignore the prompts to create a partnership. The RAPI app
will proceed anyway, and the prompt will go away when the handheld is
disconnected.

Robert E. Zaret, eMVP
PenFact, Inc.
500 Harrison Ave., Suite 3R
Boston, MA 02118
www.penfact.com

You don't have to "uninstall and reinstall". From the PC ActiveSync window simply choose Tools->Add/Remove programs when the new PPC is connected.

For this, however, I'd write an installer app that uses RAPI and installs the files automagically when devices are connected. You can autorun when the device is connected, then push down and expand CABs or individual files, register COM dlls or whatever.

My copy of the "logo" requirements (May 2004 version of "Designed for
Windows Mobile Software Application Handbook for Pocket PCs") says
applications _must_ use CeAppMgr. So folks who want their apps
certified might have to forego use of their own RAPI-based installer.
For various reasons (see below), I really feel compelled to bypass
CeAppMgr, but are seriously considering certification. So I will most
likely find out soon whether this piece is enforced.

Details:
Several of our customers have handhelds that run version Windows CE
but are not Pocket PCs. So I have a set of CAB files for Pocket PCs
and a set for "other" platforms. I couldn't find a way to specify
"other" in our inf files, so I couldn't find a way to get CeAppMgr to
install the Pocket PC version on Pocket PCs, and "other" on everything
else.

(I think the cross-posting in the original post, and thus this thread,
is excessive. In particular, microsoft.public.pocketpc is
inappropriate).
[...]

Back
Top