MSI 645 Ultra and Innio GeForce4 ti 4200 problems

Reaction score
I purchased an Innio GeForce 4 Ti4200 64MB DDR AGP but i`m am having some serious problems getting any games which use Direct X to run at all they all crash the pc just only after a few minutes.

Sometimes just seconds after starting to play a game. Seeing 80% of games use Direct X this really is a bad thing. I`ve tested different drivers, I have also tweaked the bios in all setups and configs possible. Just to be 100% sure I even tested the graphics card on an Intel P3 system and had the same result with games crashing.

It seems to be a Direct X issue as running in windows and windows apps is fine but having a new graphics card for games is what I brought the card for so i`m almost 99% sure the graphics card is faulty in some way

My system setup is as follows:

MSI 645 Ultra Socket 478
Intel P4 1.6ghz
512mb PC333 DDram
Maxtor 40gb Hard Drive
OS is Windows XP Pro

OK IanH, there are a couple of things you can do to try and narrow down the cause:

Do OpenGL games cause games to crash? i.e QuakeIII etc... if you have any OpenGL programs?

Did the card come with a status monitor to check the temperature of the card? One test might be to run a game with the side of the case off and see if it lasts longer, if it does then it is most likely a cooling issue.

If both of these fail you may have to send it back for a replacement!

Many thanks Ian for your suggestions,

OpenGL seems fine .. it`s just Direct X games and it happens between 5secs and 5mins of playing in x4 mode but seems okay in x2. i`m using the nvidia 29.42 whql drivers too

I have read that there are problems with some GeForce-4 cards not being compatible with some MSI and Asus motherboards. Can you help to shed any light on this statement if it's true.

Thanks

Ian

There's a big thing with GeForce 4's and some motherboards as they're causing problems. Do you get green lines when it's about to crash? Many people say they get this. Most of them have just RMA'd the products and got new ones.

-Pete

I seriously think you have an overheating problem. Does the back of the card get hot? It should at worst be warm.

The other thing, I may be wrong, but is not x4 at a different voltage to x2?
x4 being a lower voltage?

Just a couple of thoughts; I have no first-hand experience with the Ti’s.

:confused:

Back