Movie file too large!

Paul Pitchford

Good morning,

I have just edited my mum & dads holiday in australia in
movie maker using the dv 25mbps option. It is a hour and
a half long and takes up 20gb on my hard disk once
complete. What is the best way for me to put this onto cd
so that i can put it in their dvd player to watch it
back. I do not have a dvd writter.

Thanks in advance,

Paul.

John Kelly

Hi There,

Firstly, to play on a DVD machine you need to create a DVD disc. This
requires extra software and of course a DVD writer to make it.. There are
plenty of programs to choose from. There is no method currently of creating
a disc with movie maker. There will be sometime in the future, but it will
mean buying a new DVD machine (Capable of playing High Mat Video)

I am not sure what you mean about 25 mega bits per second. That's way more
than can be achieved from a domestic video camera or with movie maker.
Generally one hour of video captured using DV-AVI by movie maker version 2
will occupy a minimum of 12.5GB of disk space.

You can also buy right now a DVD player that supports the High Mat Stills
option, Personally I can not see the point, it seems to me to be a total
waste of money on a machine thats at best a half-way option...I suppose if
I was selling them I would be more supportive :)

J. Daniel Smith

Many (most?) "recent" DVD players will also playback VCDs (Video CDs),
several of them actually display a "Compact Disc Video" logo; so a DVD
writer is not necessarily an absolute requirement. http://vcdhelp.com has a
"compatability list" that you may be able to use to determine if your DVD
player will support VCD playback.

In any case, third-party software is still requried to create a VCD; see
http://papajohn.org for details.

Dan

PAul pItchford

John,

Thanks for your reply,

Perhaps I should explain myself better. I have four dv-
avi file's totaling about 20gb. I wounderd if i could use
some sort of compression/codec to drematically reduce the
files so i could perhaps span them over 2 or 3 vcd's?

Paul,.

John Kelly

I wish you would stop butting in...you have been a serious pain in the bum,
and its noted by several people who have a good laugh at your "clear and
concise comments" ever since you got on your high horse over Movie Maker and
the definition of an Operating System....the gentleman who asked the
question has parents who own a DVD player, he wants to know how he can play
a disk on that player. My reply had several options, but in your normal
"Lets have a dig at him because of the time he produced a Dictionary
Definition of what an Operating System is" You yet again opened mouth, and
the brain fell out.

Frankly I am surprised your employer allows you the time on the companies
equipment...perhaps a little note to them will shut your mouth
Hmmmmmmmmmm....I have every message here that you have ever posted...all of
them with the headers...now where shall I send them Eh ? Autodesk was it!!!
Oh yes....ISP logs Do you know what I mean ???

So, But out please

P.S. In the last month I have bought two new DVD players neither of them
play VCD's, I mean lets face it, who other than a nerd would want to watch a
second rate poor quality video when they can have DVD

Paul Pitchford

John,

I do not wish to be apart of this discussion, i am mearly
here to get a possible solution to my question. My
parents DVD player does play vcd's hence me making it
clear that i do not have a dvd writer.

I myself have a LG player that plays dvd's and my friend
has a panasonic one that does the same.

Paul.

John Kelly

Hi there,

Thanks for your reply.Yes you can. you can used Movie Maker to maker
smaller lower quality pictures.

A 20GB DV-AVI file when converted by DVD software will fit with ease on to
a standard DVD disk.

If you were to spread that over 3 CD's then, allow 650MB for data on 700MB
disc, you would have to compress it down by a factor of almost 11 !!!!

3 x 650 = 1950MB = 1.95GB...lets call it 2GB

then to squeeze 20GB into 2GB.....

20 / 2 = 10 times compression

That compression is of course possible, but if you use Movie Maker, it will
be in the previously mention High Mat format which means you would have to
buy the new DVD machine for your parents, when it becomes available. And
if you are going to spend that kind of money on a machine that will produce
a video that has been compressed that much, then you might as well spend
that little bit extra and buy a DVD writer for your self and then have
loads of fun making your own family movies in DV quality.

I have never used some of the other programs that can make a proper VCD,
but the same will apply to them (except if your parents machine can truly
play a VCD then you will not need to spend any money on hardware)

If you are absolutely stuck on this, and partly because I allowed a certain
buffoon to wind me up) If you send me the files (details if you accept) and
I will make you a DVD

John Kelly

Hi Again,

Yes I understand Paul. Please accept my apologies, you will note from my
comments that prompted your reply that this person is a constant
irritation, and I think its time I dealt with him once and for all.

Again, I am sorry he chose your query to start another little argument.

Paul Pitchford

John,

Thanks for your help. I think in the long run, to save a
head ache, i think it would be better to ask santa for a
dvd writer this christmas.

Thansk again, and no worries about the probs with the
other guy.

Paul.

John Kelly

Hi again,

Once again, I am sorry he managed to annoy me again, The offer does of
course still stand. If you have a broadband connection you can reasonably
easily send me the files, and there would not of course be any charge.

I have just created a VCD of my November 2003 video. The quality is visibly
less than DVD, I would not be able to live with it myself, not after seeing
what I can achieve with a DVD.

The company has recently been bought out by Pinnacle. The company DAZZLE
used to sell (and there are still a few available at my local store) a
program called DVD Complete. It is deceptively easy to use and gives great
results taking the DV-AVI files straight from Movie Maker, and when you dig
down into its workings you find its really very good indeed. If you do buy
a DVD writer you might want to ask if they have a "clearance sale" copy of
this program. I had the Nero 5.5 come with my writer and did not like it
too much, which is why I went and looked for something else.

print_maker

I don't see any problem with his post. Some people are just fine with VCD
quality and any information that helps people learn should be greeted. This
is one of my favorite newsgroups because of the normally incredibly friendly
tone not present in most places on the newsgroups. People often answer
questions with workarounds that may not fit the exact question but often
help others with similar questions or not the exact same needs. I for one
have had good success with VCD before I pruchased a DVD burner. I will often
still use VCD for slideshows when I don't want to use the costlier disc as
the non-moving image is more acceptable to me on VCD than a moving image is.

I would add that you may have a friend with a DVD burner - and you may be
able to move a 20GB file with an external hard drive to a machine that can
make a DVD.

or You could save that movie out as a WMV file that is set to a bitrate that
will fit on a CD, and then take it to a friend with a DVD burner - you will
lose some quality with the second compressing - but if the goal is to get a
disc out it may be more important that they see it than it be exactly
perfect.

Print_Maker

John Kelly

Hi Print_maker,

If you check his remarks you will always find that they follow someone who
has already given an answer...take papajohn for example....he gave last
night, his time, a perfectly good answer that needed no additions....but
many hours later sonny jim has to but in with his remake of what has
already been said....and then amazingly he directed the original poster to
www.papajohn.org !!!!

If you check everything he has posted lets say in the last 3 to 4 months
you will find that he frequently has a little dig at me....I have let them
ride for the most part....it all started when I once said that Movie Maker
2 was free and he wanted people to think that they had paid for it...he
lost that argument when I produce a dictionary.

You are right about this newgroup being one of the friendliest...none of us
ever go out of our way to wind anyone up, even when one of us misses
something out or makes an incorrect statement, we dont need the kind of
remarks and re hashing that he revels in. We are all very friendly, except
for him and I am part way writing to his employers, I think we will see in
the near future whether they agree or not with my thoughts

PapaJohn \(MVP\)

Paul,

www.dvdrhelp.com has good reference info about VCDs. In one table there
about video file comparisons, it says you can fit 74 minutes of video on a
CD.

So your 90 minute one won't fit.

PapaJohn

John Kelly

Hi there,

That's interesting, I did not believe it at first. I just looked at some
CD's in their own jewel case and it says the same there too. One of them
goes further to say that it will hold only 80 minutes of normal audio ala
CD music ordinare. That does not say much for the quality of the
video/audio in a VCD. The one I burnt earlier today is awful. Thank god we
have moved on to DVD's

print_maker

I have often re-aswered a question to give my $.02 - sometimes without
seeing the other post either because my newsreader didn't download all the
headers or because I just made a mistake. I think splitting hairs over small
things is what turns a newsgroup unfriendly. Certainly writing to his
employer seems like a harsh thing to do over the definition of "free". Why
not let people who read the newsgroup be the judge of who is helpful and who
to block or ignore? Seems you'd be happier if you used the block function.

Print_Maker

John Kelly

Hi there,

Well we clearly are going to differ. Blaming my reaction to an already
existing condition such that my reaction is going to make this news group
unfriendly is a very strange point of view....I wonder perhaps, should we
leave the terrorists alone that brought down the twin towers...just because
it makes us look unfriendly, you know...we don't want other countries to
think bad of us because we reacted to a situation ...no no my friend, if
you want to take a pop at me you do so at your own risk.

As far as the block function goes, will that stop him making his remarks
giving others some sort of twisted or warped view of the state of things?
Well of course it wont, I am many things to many people, but none of them
think of me as an Ostrich I can assure you of that.

I see you did not read properly what I said. Writing to his employer over
the definition of "free" is not what I said at all, or why I am doing it.
Such remarks are of a nature that causes more bad feeling within the
newsgroup, and also puts you in the category of "people stirring things
up", I am sure you did not intend too as it has been my experience in the
past that your comments are quite friendly, am I wrong?

John Kelly

Mr Smith,

Your message is off-topic, please refrain from posting off-topic messages
in this newsgroup.

--
Best Wishes.........John Kelly
www.the-kellys.org

From: "J. Daniel Smith" <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: VCD Menu Effects
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2003 17:14:14 -0400
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.moviemaker

This newsgroup is for Windows MovieMaker, which doesn't create VCDs (or DVDs
for that matter).

Dan