missing "general" tab on internet options under tools

D. Hoov

When I go to internet options, either in IE or in my
control panel, my first tab is missing. The tab called
general is gone. I cannot change my homepage, clear my
cache, or clear my history. Can anyone help on this? I
have downloaded the latest version to try to re-install,
but Windows will not allow me to install since my version
is as new as the latest.

siljaline

D. Hoov said:
When I go to internet options, either in IE or in my
control panel, my first tab is missing. The tab called
general is gone. I cannot change my homepage, clear my
cache, or clear my history. Can anyone help on this? I
have downloaded the latest version to try to re-install,
but Windows will not allow me to install since my version
is as new as the latest.

Backup your Registry, *first* -
Instructions:
Win95/98/ME
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;322754
WinXP and Windows Server 2003.

Download and run this file: http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/UnlockHomePage.reg
Right click on the "reg" file, select "Merge", accept the prompts to add the
item to your Registry. This should work.

If no joy, follow the instructions for download of Lavasoft's Ad-aware, at this link:
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

HTH

--

siljaline MS MVP IE/OE

(Please reply to group, as reply address is invalid, so that we can all benefit)

- Neil Stephenson, _Cryptonomicon_

Ramesh [MS-MVP]

Remove IE Restrictions & Restore Missing tabs. Download a fix from:
http://mvps.org/sramesh2k/reg/IE_reset_restrictions.reg

Also, refer Fix 268 from Kelly's site: [For Windows XP]
Restore All tabs in IE and Removes the ** Internet Options ** Restrictions
as well

The problem may be due to:

1. A spyware. Download Ad-Aware from www.lavasoftusa.com, scan the system
and eliminate the malware products. Re-apply the above fix if necessary.
** Remember to update the pattern file using WebUpdate in Ad-Aware **

( Caused by a malware called CoolWebSearch. Also, Download:
http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/files/cwshredder.zip )

2. You have enabled SpyBot immunize (protection) feature or any other
similar software. Also, disable the following features:
"Lock IE start page against user changes"
"Lock IE control panel against opening from within IE"

More Information:
Internet Explorer Control Panel Restrictions:

Home Page Setting Changes Unexpectedly, or You Cannot Change your Home Page
Setting
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=320159

Ramesh [MS-MVP]
Aim: SRamesh2k
(e-mail address removed)
http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

~ Please reply to newsgroup ~

When I go to internet options, either in IE or in my
control panel, my first tab is missing. The tab called
general is gone. I cannot change my homepage, clear my
cache, or clear my history. Can anyone help on this? I
have downloaded the latest version to try to re-install,
but Windows will not allow me to install since my version
is as new as the latest.

D Hoov

Don

Thank you for your help! This has been haunting my IE
for weeks and I have tried everything--your link was the
solution. Thanks so much.

The fix for your missing General tab is "RepairTabs.reg" in the
"Various Registry Fixes" section.

Additional info at http://www.mvps.org/inetexplorer/Darnit.htm

Regards,
Don
--
Newsgroup replies preferred, but e-mail address is...
d.varnau[at]lycos[dot]com
"D. Hoov" <anonymous[at]discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
When I go to internet options, either in IE or in my
control panel, my first tab is missing. The tab called
general is gone. I cannot change my homepage, clear my
cache, or clear my history. Can anyone help on this? I
have downloaded the latest version to try to re- install,
but Windows will not allow me to install since my version
is as new as the latest.

.

D Hoov

Thank you for your help! It is fixed! Thanks so much.

Right click on the "reg" file, select "Merge", accept the prompts to add the
item to your Registry. This should work.

If no joy, follow the instructions for download of
Lavasoft's Ad-aware, at this link:

DVarnau

Your're welcome. Mike B (I believe) did the real work, but I was paying
attention. <G>

Don

D Hoov said:
Thank you for your help! It is fixed! Thanks so much.
Thanks for the feedback and you're very welcome.
Please feel free to post back if there is anything else that we
can help you with.