MISSING DVD ROM DRIVE

  • Start date Start date

I installed RC 1 today and everything works fine except one thing. I am
unable to locate my DVD ROM. I've put different DVD's into the Drive and
nothing detected. I went to Drvice Manager and nothing.

I have a Gateway 610 XL Media center PC with 200 GB HD, 2 GB of RAM ,
Pentium 4, 3.0MHZ Processor with 800MHz FSB

Please Help

Thanks

I have a very similar problem. My DVD Drive is detected though. I put ANY
disk in and it spins the drive but then the whole computer crashes and will
not come back at all. So I restart my computer and load Vista and my drive
is gone (not showing in My Computer or Device Manager). So I restart the
computer again and load vista and it is back. Try and load a disc again it
crashes and the same thing happens.

<DIV>&quot;Loaner&quot; &lt;[email protected]&gt; wrote in message

Thanks, for your help. I tried what you said by putting the DVD in the drive
and restarting . The drive is detected in the middle of restarting because I
will be asked to "PRESS ANY KEY TO BOOT FROM CD OR DVD' If I press a key I am
taken to the DVD, however whenever the computer is restarted, there is no
sign of the Drive in My Computer or Device Manager.
I have all the latest updates from Windows Update.

Try this http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314060

Loaner said:
Thanks, for your help. I tried what you said by putting the DVD in the
drive
and restarting . The drive is detected in the middle of restarting because
will be asked to "PRESS ANY KEY TO BOOT FROM CD OR DVD' If I press a key I
am
taken to the DVD, however whenever the computer is restarted, there is no
sign of the Drive in My Computer or Device Manager.
I have all the latest updates from Windows Update.

yMichael,

Thanks for your suggestion, however that did not work. I Tried loading the
fix automatically as well as manually in the Registry and no change.
I did get the DVD Rom to work using the compatability Wizard. and selecting
' I WANT TO USE THE PROGRAM IN THE CD ROM" That however, only works when it
feels like it. Sometimes it works and sometimes it does not. I was able to
load a program, but I can't get the program to work.

Funny I have the exact same machine and am having the same issue, with one
exception. About 15 mins. after install, Windows suddenly detected the drive
and installed the drivers for it. I used the drive several times during that
session and went to bed after shutting down. Big mistake. When I booted the
machine back up the drive was gone!

The registry and event logs recorded the install incident so I know it was
there! For some reason it has been disabled again. Incidentally my registry
keys do NOT have the upperfilters and lowerfilters keys in them... Still
trying...

I am having pretty much the same issue. The E drive, A Sony DRV 700 ATA
shows up on a fresh boot under device manager, then it vanishes. Refresh
doesnt' find it and Windows reports drivers are up-to-date when I scan and
it's there. The F drive, a Pioneer ROM works fine.

Reboot... and E is there... then gone.

I replaced the cable just to make sure that wasn't an issue, no change.

This is on a Sony Viao RZ26g

Interestingly enough, my drive shows up after I put the machine into sleep
mode and then wake it up. It disappears again after a reboot. Very
frustrating.

I "put my machine to sleep" and as your reported, there was the missing
DVD... until I put a CD in to see what happens. Checked device manager...
and it's gone again.

Maybe it's a ground hog issue.

I'm in the same boat.
although my Vista goes one further and wont boot unless I have a Vista disk
in the IDE DVD drive. I have to wait till the "Press any key to boot from CD"
comes up and let it time out. Bingo, right into Vista ! I can put up with
this for a few more days but the No DVD or CD is killing me.

Has anyone come up with a fix for this not recognize the cd/dvd ?.

Thanks for any help
gmontz

This method works whether one has burner software installed or not.
I had no such software installed when my DVD driive went missing from
Computer.

I had left the PrintShop 20 Deluxe DVD in the drive over night, and
when I went to use a DVD the next morning, I was unable to eject it
from within Vista RC2 (Build 5744). In fact, the drive didn't show up
in Vista. This seems to be an ongoing problem if a disk is left in
the drive for more than a few hours.

My drive is a "Matshita DVD/CD -R UJ846". Actually, it is a normal 8x
Dual-Layer DVD recorder/reader, as found in the Intel iMac 17"
machine.

I had to reboot into OS X to eject the DVD, then boot back into Vista.
This failed to bring back the DVD drive in Vista, however.

I followed the advice contained in the Microsoft article you posted,
and it worked like a charm, returning my DVD drive back to the
Desktop. Removing this key also seems to have the effect of keeping
the drive from disappearing in the future.

Perhaps Microsoft should remove this key entirely in the next
iteration of Vista (hopefully that iteration will be the RTM).

By the way, in the Registry entry for the DVD drive, there is NO
"Lower Limit" key, only the "Upper Limit" key. Snipping it out seems
to be a great solution for an ugly problem, and it seems to have no
other effects than causing the correct driver to be reinstalled.

Trying to uninstall the driver in Device Manager has no effect, by the
way (other than to reinstall a faulty driver when you reboot). It
must be getting corrupted somehow when I leave a disk in the drive for
any substantial length of time.)

Only the method you pointed out works for me.

I tried this on Windows Vista Business, and removing the Lowerfilters RegKey
worked for my Matshita DVD burner UJ840. SO maybe it will work for other
people and other drives too.

Back
Top