messenger/net passport forced update

M

mikey

have been receiving notices of a FORCED upgrade to messenger/net passport from microsoft. every time trillian signs on.

news story today from CNET says the intent is to block 3rd party IM clients like Trillian from accessing messenger network.

AOL went round and round with trillian till the government forced them to STOP.
something like restraint of trade or other similar government regulation. an agreement on purchase of allowing 3rd party access.

Trilian works better, has fewer problems and none of the security issues of messenger or other microsoft programs.
I find it much easier to have ONE (1) IM client running to access multiple networks.

(e-mail address removed)

M

mikey

thanx for the info Jonathan.

I still find it extremely irritating that the update notice does not come up when logging in using messenger.
just when logging in using Trillian.

I do understand about the new demand that the 3rd party IM client being required to NOW purchase a license to access the network.

(e-mail address removed)

Greetings Mikey,

They can get a license a continue to support the .NET Messenger network, and probably will
(although you'll probably need to pay for it).

However, just for the record, the only thing different in the clients which users are being
forced to upgrade from (the Microsoft clients), is a new authentication scheme. If there was
a security problem in the older authentication, which is what Trillian uses, then there would
be a security issue in Trillian -- so you can't really say "the security issues of messenger"
don't effect Trillian, because they do.
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/
Messenger Resources - http://messenger.jonathankay.com

have been receiving notices of a FORCED upgrade to messenger/net passport from microsoft.
every time trillian signs on.

news story today from CNET says the intent is to block 3rd party IM clients like Trillian
from accessing messenger network.

AOL went round and round with trillian till the government forced them to STOP.
something like restraint of trade or other similar government regulation. an agreement on
purchase of allowing 3rd party access.

Trilian works better, has fewer problems and none of the security issues of messenger or
other microsoft programs.
I find it much easier to have ONE (1) IM client running to access multiple networks.

(e-mail address removed)

Ask a Question