Maximum Characters in Stringbuilder?

  • Start date Start date

avarga82

Hello,

I'm using a Stringbuilder to building dynamic HTML, and I was wondering
how long it can get before it gives up. I won't know the length of the
HTML until it's finished building it. I've read a few articles that
suggest setting an initial size when you instantiate it, but will that
work even if I don't know how much I'm storing?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

It looks like the maximum characters is the MaxValue of an Int32 which is
2,147,483,647.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/d...asscapacitytopic.aspStringBuilder.MaxCapacity PropertyGets the maximum capacity of this instance.You can also test it:http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/d...capacitytopic.aspStringBuilder.EnsureCapacity MethodEnsures that the capacity of this instance of StringBuilder is at least thespecified value.KenMicrosoft MVP [ASP.NET]<[email protected]> wrote in messageHello,>> I'm using a Stringbuilder to building dynamic HTML, and I was wondering> how long it can get before it gives up. I won't know the length of the> HTML until it's finished building it. I've read a few articles that> suggest setting an initial size when you instantiate it, but will that> work even if I don't know how much I'm storing?>> Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!>

Hello,

I'm using a Stringbuilder to building dynamic HTML, and I was
wondering how long it can get before it gives up. I won't know the
length of the HTML until it's finished building it. I've read a few
articles that suggest setting an initial size when you instantiate
it, but will that work even if I don't know how much I'm storing?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

It'll be limited by the largest contiguous block of virtual memory in the
large object heap. For a typical 32bit machine, you can expect that to be a
couple hundred megabytes - perhaps as much as 1 Gb under the best
circumstances.

-cd

Back
Top