Manually Removing Services

  • Start date Start date

Does anyone know or an article describing how to manually remove a service from the services window? I have an app that isn't removing the entry during it's uninstall and it's causing major headaches.

Thanks,
Mark

Delete it from the registry services subkey.

Microsoft MVP [Windows NT/2000 Operating Systems]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect.

:
| Does anyone know or an article describing how to manually remove a service
from the services window? I have an app that isn't removing the entry
during it's uninstall and it's causing major headaches.

| Thanks,
| Mark

Make a backup of your registry by running NTBackup and making an Emergency
Repair disk.
Use regedit
Go to the key
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services
The service is probably listed under this key.
Before deleting the service, check the start value...If the value is not
4, set the value to 4 and reboot making sure this service is not needed.
If the service is not needed, delete the service name. Do not delete the
Service key but the single item under Services that you want to remove.

Joe Griffin [MS]