Making DVD

  • Start date Start date

Chad

Can dvd players regonize wmv files? That is to say, is
there any software that will allow me to make dvd using
the wmv format that wmm 2 saves in? I know you can save
as dv-avi, but I was wondering if it could be done with
wmv? Thanks.

Hi there,

DVD's use VOB files for DVD quality and its a form of MPEG.

If your DVD player supports it you can create VCD or even SVCD. The quality
of VCD/SVCD is less than DVD quality. I heard that WMV has been submitted to
some standards agency by Microsoft. I guess that this is their way of
entering the market.

You can use Movie Maker 2 to create WMV files with what's called a HighMat
menu system. It has the look and feel of a DVD but presently you cannot play
it on a DVD player. Currently supported formats by the latest DVD players
include HighMat Audio and HighMat still images. You have to read carefully
before you buy a HighMat player, there has been at least one annoyed person
who thought he was buying a high mat player for still images and what he
actually got was one for playing audio.

For more information on what Movie Maker can do, take a look at
www.papajohn.org. This website contains a lot of information and is valuable
source of information...especially if you are thinking of spending any
significant money...

Short answer: currently, you need third-party software (even with DV-AVI),
see http://papajohn.org for details.

Long answer: Stand-alone DVD players currently available to consumers can
not playback WMV files (nor HighMAT/video disks). The previous sentence is
carefully worded because things like Windows Media Center Edition (MCE)
could be considered a "DVD player". Also, it is expected that DVD players
supporting HighMAT/video will (finally) be available in early 2004. Again,
see http://papajohn.org for complete details.

Dan

What ???

Hello,

This is good, can you explain why your carefully worded reply can cause any
one to think a piece of software designed only for a computer can be
considered a DVD player?? Remember what the original question was.

This is what Microsoft have to say on the issue......

"Windows XP Media Center Edition 2004, available pre-installed on Media
Center PCs, delivers advanced computing, plus easy-to-use integrated digital
entertainment-live and recorded TV, movies, music, photos, and radio-that
you can enjoy when and how you want. All your digital media is in one place,
accessible on either a PC monitor or TV display, using a single remote
control."

I can't see the words "things like Windows Media Center Edition (MCE) could
be considered a "DVD player" or anything approaching it. Indeed such a
computer could in any case only be considered as a DVD player if it had a
DVD drive.

It is in any case a useless piece of info, because....the question was ....

"Can dvd players regonize wmv files? That is to say, is there any software
that will allow me to make dvd using the wmv format that wmm 2 saves in? I
know you can save as dv-avi, but I was wondering if it could be done with
wmv? Thanks."

And the answer to that is as given in my first reply

The intent was to succinctly provide a complete answer to this FAQ; it would
appear that our respective responses crossed each other...

My understanding is that MCE will play DVDs on your TV screen
(http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/mediacenter/evaluation/scenarios/enterta
inment.asp says "...a rich DVD viewing experience..."), so I don't think
it's a great stretch for one to consider MCE a "DVD player" - especially if
you don't own a (traditional) stand-alone DVD player. An ordinary PC can
not necessarily be a "Media Center PC" as Microsoft has some very specific
hardware requirements such as a DVD drive; also "Windows XP Media Center
Edition 2004" is only available to OEMs (and certain MSDN subscribers).

Now if MCE is my only "DVD player", then I can play WMM movies on my DVD
player:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/mediacenter/evaluation/scenarios/digitalphoto.asp
says "Windows Movie Maker [lets] ...you create and edit your home movies
right on your computer. ...pick up the Media Center remote control...and
show your digital home movies."

Before someone goes out and spends say $50 (or more) on third-party software
to create DVDs/VCDs, they might want to know that in (hopefully) a few
months, there will be stand-alone DVD players which can playback
HighMAT/video CDs. They might decide that they don't need to make that
movie now and would rather put the $50 towards a new DVD player in 2004.
Or, if they are thinking about a new PC anyway, they might want to consider
a MCE PC.

Dan

John Kelly said:
[...]

sea.

Mr Smith,

Your message is off-topic, please refrain from posting off-topic messages
in this newsgroup.

--
Best Wishes.........John Kelly
www.the-kellys.org

From: "J. Daniel Smith" <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: VCD Menu Effects
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2003 17:14:14 -0400
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.moviemaker

This newsgroup is for Windows MovieMaker, which doesn't create VCDs (or DVDs
for that matter).

Dan

Back
Top