Mail Button in Outlook 2003 does not open Inbox

• Thread starter Howard M. Rensin
  • Start date
H

Howard M. Rensin

I just installed Outlook 2003 (had been using 2002 for a while and very happy). The new buttons on the left side has a 'Mail' button, but it only opens the Inbox if the inbox is highlighted. I like to keep my Outlook on the Outlook Today page which is the Personal Favorites folder name, however, if that is highlighted, the 'Mail' button does NOT open the inbox, but simply returns me to Outlook Today.
How do I lock the 'Mail' button so that it opens the inbox no matter what is highlighted?
Howard

H

Howard M. Rensin

Can someone answer this for me. Its really getting frustrating. Any MVPs around?
I just installed Outlook 2003 (had been using 2002 for a while and very happy). The new buttons on the left side has a 'Mail' button, but it only opens the Inbox if the inbox is highlighted. I like to keep my Outlook on the Outlook Today page which is the Personal Favorites folder name, however, if that is highlighted, the 'Mail' button does NOT open the inbox, but simply returns me to Outlook Today.
How do I lock the 'Mail' button so that it opens the inbox no matter what is highlighted?
Howard

D

Diane Poremsky

the mail button only opens the mail folders, not a specific folder. In fact, it goes to the last used folder, which is the outlook today folder in your case. use the keyboard shortcut Ctrl+1 to go to the inbox.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours
Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide)

Can someone answer this for me. Its really getting frustrating. Any MVPs around?
Howard

J

Jocelyn Fiorello [MVP - Outlook]

I'm afraid this is by design. Clicking the Mail button in the Navigation
Pane brings up a list of your mail folders, but will not open the Inbox
folder specifically unless you already selected it before switching to
something else. I guess we can add this one to the list of new Outlook 2003
features that not everyone considers to be an improvement :)

Feel free to pass along your concerns and suggestions to Microsoft at
(e-mail address removed) (put Outlook in the subject line) or at
(e-mail address removed) (for Outlook-specific issues). Microsoft does read
the e-mails sent to these addresses, and the more users requesting a certain
feature, the more likely it will be implemented in the future.

--
Jocelyn Fiorello
MVP - Outlook

*** Messages sent to my e-mail address will NOT be answered -- please
reply only to the newsgroup to preserve the message thread. ***

In

Ask a Question